Stair Noses

Discussion in 'Upholstery & Carpet Cleaning' started by Jon Oldham, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Jon Oldham

Jon Oldham Member

Advertisements:
    Can anyone tell me the best method for cleaning stair noses (if that's what they are called).

I seem to spend forever going over them with my hand tool but they always look dirty. Maybe it's the angles of the fibres showing more of the backing material.

Is there a better way than to keep going over with HWE.

Thanks for your help.

Jon Oldham
  2. Steve Poole

Steve Poole Guest

I've found that this tends to be an area that responds far better (visibly) than any other to pre-vaccing before following up HWE. I guess this is because the pile is really opened and so you can get some reall airflow to carry the dust and dirt out. I've had some that have looked as though I have cleaned them just with the pre-vac.
  3. John Bolton

John Bolton Admin

Jon,

Without doubt, HWE correctly applied is the best way to deal with the noses. However, since I cannot demonstrate on here, you might like to try agitating pre-spray with a hand brush and after extraction, finishing these areas (immediately) with a clean towel.
  4. Ian nichols

Ian nichols Member

I find that appling the correct M/S and rubbing with folded white towel works well as you can leave the M/S in the carpet without any harm or you could HWE afterwards if desired.

Ian
  5. Paul Elliott

Paul Elliott Member

Jon,

Stair noses are the part of the stair that takes the most amount of wear.

As you stated the angle of the fibres is different and you usually can see the backing, so in some circumstance you have to accept that you cannot work miracles. Another thing to remember is they always look better when dry.

Paul.
  6. Trevor Ives

Trevor Ives Bathams Moderator Moderator

I also find finishing with a towel works well.

Trevor