12v Water pump

Lee Wagstaff

Cleantalk Member
So ive been looking for months for a decent 12v water pump but they all seem to have little hoses. Can anyone recommend one that i can use normal size hoses.
:smile: TIA

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
A 12v water pump will be restricted by the amount of water it can deliver (GPM) as well as the actual pressure it can deliver (PSI).

The main contenders are likely to be Shureflo and Flojet

Your question does not give any indication as to the application or what size of hoses you are referring to.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
These pumps tend to perform best with a 1/4" (6mm) hose or there abouts, as you appear to have discovered. I am not aware of a 12v pump that could cope with a 12.5mm (1/2") hose.

If the H & S requirements can be met, have you considered fitting a jet to the end of a 1/4" hose? This will increase the pressure but reduce the flow in a similar way to pinching the end of a hose pipe will increase the pressure to aid rinsing foam off the car (for example)

Lee Wagstaff

Cleantalk Member
Yeah Fair point the company i used to work for we used 12.5mm there but can i for life remember what pumps they were since you mentioned shureflo seems to ring a bell :lol:

Lee Wagstaff

Cleantalk Member
What's wrong with a bucket of water costs nothing
Ive been using a spray system for a fair few years. Since going on my own i used a worx battery one bought a cheap pump on ebay but its just not the same as one i used before. i just find it handing to pull it out and rinse not having to carry a bucket too and from :lol:

Neil Wilde

Cleantalk Member
What's wrong with the smaller hoses around 9mm? Hoses of that diameter are all over eBay in any length you want. And a narrower hose will deliver a more powerful spray too in my experience.

The hose I currently have is 8mm inner diameter, connected to a pretty basic pump. Not one fault in over 2 years.

Lee Wagstaff

Cleantalk Member
What's wrong with the smaller hoses around 9mm? Hoses of that diameter are all over eBay in any length you want. And a narrower hose will deliver a more powerful spray too in my experience.

The hose I currently have is 8mm inner diameter, connected to a pretty basic pump. Not one fault in over 2 years.
Thanks Neil im not too sure whats wrong with it i got one for £17 of ebay with all pipes just looks Rubbish, Ive wired it in so gonna give it a try when im back at work on the 2nd :lol:

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
I think a boat bilge pump will give a higher flow. Don't know about pressure though.
Pretty pricey though.

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Neil im not too sure whats wrong with it i got one for £17 of ebay with all pipes just looks Rubbish, Ive wired it in so gonna give it a try when im back at work on the 2nd :lol:
Sounds like you might have the same one as me! :lol: 4 months down the road, it is the plastic hose connectors that are giving me trouble. Hoses work their way loose and pop off. Not too good to come back and find your water butt has emptied itself in the back of the van. I'm upgrading to some brass fittings. But the pipes themselves (hooked up to a brass head hose sprayer from B&Q) are doing fine, and it does a great job of the rinsing.

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
I'm wondering why a tank and pump is needed I just use a bucket of water poured into a tray for rinsing after its been in the tank. It seems easier, I'm relatively new so may be doing it the wrong way, but I can't see what benefit a pump and water tank gives other than cost and hassle.

Lee Wagstaff

Cleantalk Member
I'm wondering why a tank and pump is needed I just use a bucket of water poured into a tray for rinsing after its been in the tank. It seems easier, I'm relatively new so may be doing it the wrong way, but I can't see what benefit a pump and water tank gives other than cost and hassle.
Convenience i have enough of filling buckets for carpet cleaning let alone having to do it for ovens too. :lol:

Lee Wagstaff

Cleantalk Member
Sounds like you might have the same one as me! :lol: 4 months down the road, it is the plastic hose connectors that are giving me trouble. Hoses work their way loose and pop off. Not too good to come back and find your water butt has emptied itself in the back of the van. I'm upgrading to some brass fittings. But the pipes themselves (hooked up to a brass head hose sprayer from B&Q) are doing fine, and it does a great job of the rinsing.
Got any links to what i need :lol: Tia Lucky ive put mine onto a switch aha