3 Day Technicians Course

Discussion in 'Leather Cleaning & Restoration' started by Terry Miles, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Terry Miles

Terry Miles Member

Advertisements:
    Hi all, I am looking at doing the 3 day Leather Technicians Course and just wanted some advice.

Is the £1500 Tech Tool Kit worth getting, I want non bias views, what I mean is, does it have 90-99% of Everything you need to get you up and running after the course, is it enough to last 1 job or 20.
    Will I be able to bring it back on the train as I doubt ill drive to training location.

I know a bit of a funny question, probably not worded great, but hopefully you get the gist.

My thinking is the £600 (all in) course, no tech kit, OR £1500 tech kit and course.

If I do the £600 (all in) course and get a job soon after, will I be spending 100's or 1000's on equipment to fulfil it OR if I get the tech kit at £1500 is that pretty much it.

Also, is the £1500 + VAT or all in.

2. Daniel Darlow

Daniel Darlow Member

Terry, Hi. Why not chat to Judy about your requirements. She will put your mind at rest.
    My own view is...take it or leave it...if you are serious about where you are heading with Leather Repair/Restoration, that is a full on business then it is worth the extra money. IF however it is just a 'tag on' to your existing business it may be wiser to purchase items as you cross them, job wise. I do know that if you are just 'playing' with Leather Repair it is a lot of money tied up in pigments etc waiting to be used one day.
    The answer to your question does it have everything... yes it does, and will at the least quadruple your money back, with the right jobs.
    Cant answer VAT question.

Good Luck.
    If you were nearer Devon I may be giving you all negative answers. HaHa. :evilgrin:

• Agreed Agreed x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Terry Miles

Terry Miles Member

Haha thanks Daniel, Well, I want to steer away from EOT cleaning so I will be Offering Carpet, Upholstery and Curtain cleaning, along with hard floor cleaning and Leather cleaning and restoration. So it will be an add on to other services but one I want to do well and push.

4. Judy Bass

Judy Bass Moderator

Happy to chat anytime Terry.
    If you are unsure come on the course and then make your mind up while you are with us.
    The prices are ex vat I'm afraid.
    Hope this helps and look forward to seeing you soon
    Cheers
    Judyb

• Like Like x 2
  5. Terry Miles

Terry Miles Member

Thanks for reply Judy, I did email accounts@lttleathercare.co.uk
    this morning so will hopefully hear back from them on Monday :lol:

I shall PM you now Judy

6. Mark Sutcliffe

Mark Sutcliffe Member

£1800 for kit..

you'll earn that back in no time if you are serious about it...

winner winner,

7. Terry Miles

Terry Miles Member

Yeah I didn't know what the kit included Mark, weather it was almost everything needed or just a few bits and bobs lol

8. Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans Member

Terry I would read Daniels excellent post above. At one time I was thinking of just doing leather and wanted to get into the restoration side of things.

I quickly realised I made more money by cleaning, I do the occasional repair or recolour especially on car seats. My advice would be do the course and get used to cleaning then when the opportunity comes for a restoration Job I am sure Judy will advise and supply.

£1800 plus vat is a lot to tie up in colours and pigments you may not need.

Best wishes
    Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  9. Susan Bines

Susan Bines Member

The money and work is in the restoration side, less than 10% is just cleaning .Susan made the cost back very quickly, you will see second hand kits for sale, a big part of the full kit is the scanner, if your serious then it's worth getting. if your intending leather as an add on the skills and confidence learned on a course can be lost so probably better doing more basic training. As others have said Susan has a full diary with just leather work, nothing else. Just ordered a brand new van this weekend for her.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans Member

Are we talking in the third person Andrew, or are you a split personality Susan by day Andrew by night..... Have you ever been seen together...

Only kidding I did once see you together......Or did I.

I guess it depends what you charge for cleaning but I do agree if you want to turn it into a full on service then you do need to offer restoration services.

• Funny Funny x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice