Advice On Using Kirby For Backdusting

Tim Cornwall

Cleantalk Member
In previous posts, I've read that that Kirby vacuum cleaners are good for backdusting rugs. With this in mind to save wear on my Sebo I recently bought an old Kirby Legend II – it was a bit grimy but I'm not complaining as it only cost me £1.20. Anyway it's cleaned up nicely and I'm impressed with the suction. At present, to be more effective when backdusting, I pull out the suction hose on my Sebo bs36. Could someone please tell me if it is possible to cut the suction in the Kirby and if so how?

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Do not operate either machine without suction!

To get an upright vacuum cleaner to back -dust to its full potential you need to adjust it so that the airflow lifts the carpet so that it is not in full contact with the floor beneath.

Ideally you need the carpet to bounce between the brush and the floor

Tim Cornwall

Cleantalk Member
Thanks John, I didn't realise disconnecting the hose could cause a problem. Fortunately the only rugs I've touched are my own so hopefully I've not caused any damage.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Tim,

Listen as you back-dust. Make a 'Brrrr' sound with your tongue and aim at producing a similar sound with tour vacuum cleaner - if not try a different setting.

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Haven't done many rugs, use my senior to back dust. Fair amount comes out of the rugs. Lot of time needed between vac and backdusting and same again and again and again. If had loads of rugs a badger would be some job. Until then will keep looking to improve backdusting technique

Ian Morton

Cleantalk Member
...could always use a TileMaster 40 (or suitably sized Excentr) over a rug with thickish polythene between it and the rug so that it’s orbital vibrations loosen the soil in the fibres...???

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Sorry Ian meant use my Sebo to backdust (predictive text☺). Don't have a tile master or excentr machine. Hopefully will progress onto a better vibration machine will also enables better backdusting