LTT Leather

Analine?

Sue Crawford

New Cleantalker
Hello everyone,

I know we covered identification on the first day of the LTT course but ... I went to look at this three piece suite this morning and got to own up to feeling a bit baffled by it.

Everything points towards a pull-up style, although it had a relatively uniform colour (despite how it looks in the photos) and there were no natural markings. However, it didn't scratch and didn't absorb moisture.

Customer did say he'd been regularly moisturising with Renapur Leather Balsam (Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Avocado oil, Jojoba oil), so thinking perhaps this could have affected how the leather responded to my tests? If so, will it affect how I tackle it?

Some patches felt really dried out and rough to the touch and there were visible broken fibres. There was also a deep crack on one of the arms, and in several places the leather felt very thin and worn.

Any advice on how I might tackle this?
Sue

Attachments

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
Looks like a waxed pull up to me Sue, what exactly is the client looking for?
Bearing in mind this is damaged upholstery and as much as we try to rectify problems there is no magic wand.

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
Looking at the cracking it would appear to have some sort of coating on the surface although this could be just a build up of all the products they have applied!!
Leather Recolour might make this look a whole lot better.

Sue Crawford

New Cleantalker
Thanks Judy and Dan,

Think the client is after the magic wand! They saw photos of a restoration / re-colour I did recently on a pigmented leather and wanted the same. I have explained that isn't going to be possible because this is a different type of leather and want to make sure I set their expectations at the right level.

Am I right in thinking then that the best I can achieve here is something that looks better than it does now without addressing the damage. Didn't know Leather Recolour could be used on analine ... I have so much to learn but having so much fun:smile:

Judy, any plans for the 1 day analine / two tone courses in the near future?

Thanks again

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
You can use Leather Recolour on anything as long as the circumstances are right. Minor cracking in this instance would be fine. You can always try a small area and see the effect as it will not stop you doing anything else but in these circumstances where other products have been used and you are not sure of quite what to do but the customer wants it smartened up this is a good place to start.
Leather Recolour will not restore colour loss on 2 tone leather but would work well if it is cracked.

I am planning next years courses at the moment Sue so will be updating these very soon.