LTT Leather

Another New Thread...

Daniel Darlow

Resident Cleantalker
Happy with the Upholstery, bags, cars, jackets, cleaning, repairs, remaking parts, etc.
Then along comes a Riding School with a list of stuff they want doing, saddles re-conditioning, strap making, new stitching....where will it all end.?....me a happy bunny!
Maybe an Apprentice??

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users

Jon Chrimes

Cleantalk Regular
Interesting post, my daughter did a full time two year course on saddles, bridges, tack in general etc.
A master saddler from the Royal Mews was the examiner ( I believe) on their final exams. Pic is from her finals.
Reason I mention this?
Saddles, quickest way to get litagated against in leather work ( so I'm led to believe!)488225_386039484749378_1187981429_n.jpg
Apart from that, wicked! Fill yer boots :thumbup:

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 users

Judy Bass

Cleantalk Team
Mark - this would be from a safety angle- bad workmanship or damage to vital parts would lead to a claim if anything happened.

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 user

Jon Chrimes

Cleantalk Regular
@ Mark Sutcliffe. Twisting or damaging the tree in any way, its the central wooden part of the saddle, this leads to poor fitting on the horses back. A poorly fitted saddle can cause injury to the horse. You can put a poorly re stuffed or poorly repaired saddle back on a horse, jump on and it'll throw you straight back off .

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 user

Daniel Darlow

Resident Cleantalker
I totally agree with you Jon, and well done to your daughter on the course, marvellous work!
I did look briefly in the 'horsey field' when I was looking at future business, and realised this was a technical minefield. I follow several Leathercrafters forums, mostly in the US and the work involved in some of the construction and Tooling is astounding. Saddle making is a craft stand alone, which I would not even consider to touch, cleaning and conditioning is another thing, which is an option I offer. I have one of the oldest Tanneries in England near me where I purchase my Bridle Leather, and all of my stitches are saddle stitched, the strongest stitch, even in my wallets, and I only remake to a pattern. I fully appreciate your post and thanks, but rest assured my Risk Assessments are valid on any job I do.:thumbup:

• Agreed
Reactions: 4 users