Barrier Cream

Aston Rayfield

Cleantalk Member
Hi, This probably should be on the healh and safety forum but I was wondering if anyone uses barrier cream. I ask as my hands can get to be quite dry etc after either using the hand mit or towling if I'm doing a lot of stairs.. I was thinking of rubber gloves but there must be someting better... cheers Chaps.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Wearing nitrile (rubber) gloves should be a given. Do it!

Barrier cream is something I frequently applied but still wore my gloves. Apply it well in advance as it may be sticky and uncomfortable inside your gloves if you don't.

Also, every couple of days, turn your gloves inside out and put them on. Now wash them well as though washing your hands. Leave to be totally dry before returning them to use.

Safe and happy hand washing:smile:
Ken

Garry Neilson

Cleantalk Member
Cheap cotton gloves with disposable gloves over the top, just wash them after each day or buy cheaper washing up gloves you can get packs of 10 or 12 of heavier duty ones for using the mitt. I tend to use my Showa nitrile ones for carpet cleaning as they are waterproof all round and not just the palms and my hands do not sweat too badly.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
I wouldn't be using disposable gloves Paul but the tougher, full size "Marigold" style of glove. They can last for several months.

Safe and happy hand care :smile:
Ken

Craig Watt

New Cleantalker
Interesting subject.

After 20+ years in the offshore industry this is still a subject which divides the pro-barrier and anti-barrier cream camps.

Drill crews, 12 hours a day with their cuffs soaked in oil-base mud which leads to some serious rashes on the wrists. Some people swear by using barrier cream whilst others refuse point blank claiming that it actually causes irritation to occur.

Me personally, high quality nitrile gloves (such as black mamba) and heavy duty gloves on top.

Chantel ferguson

Cleantalk Member
I also have problems with dry hands I started wearing disposable type gloves (non latex type) and with having them on for long periods of time my hands would sweat and cause my hands to crack. Personally I use barrier cream, gloves when totally necessary, and a good hand cream when finished.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Chantel,

I have a pack of thin, inexpensive cotton gloves to go inside disposable waterproof gloves to resolve the sweat issue.

(Search for "Cotton inner gloves")

David Lynch

Cleantalk Member
I wear disposable latex gloves while doing my oven cleans. Mainly to stop the detergent/degreaser taking the oils out my skin. I also buy LIDL handcream because I'm Scottish, and apply before, between and after jobs. Skins in reasonable shape.

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
David
Scotsman or not just have a look at the ingredients of that barrier cream (often easier to do this online as bottles can be misleading).
Sometimes physical cost can be more than the financial one

Just me being sceptical about what actually goes into my body