Blue Afghan Rug

Steven Butler

Cleantalk Member
Hi, I’ve 2 of these wool Afghan rugs to clean and would appreciate what solutions products you guys would recommend. I’ve recently starting using solutions products with amazing success but haven’t used them on rugs like this. Thanks in advance

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Steven,

I like to use M-P on wool but Fusion 8 and Safe-4-wool are also good options. Let the soil type and the results of your pre-testing indicate the most appropriate.

Though not required for neutralisation, Crystal Rinse will improve the result as well as imparting some soil retardancy .

Mark Sutcliffe

Cleantalk Member
Used M power on a thick red oriental hand woven rug (it's about an inch thick), came up brilliant, really vibrant. It was either that or woolmaster, decided on M Power as it's better on protein type stains.

Wife's over the moon with the results!

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
'Tourist milking' is far from uncommon - I have cleaned a number of "Hand-knotted Iranian rugs" that were machine-made in India. Robert has probably come accross many more than I.

Carl Sands

Subscriber
Every rug we do we clean using the following steps - Back dust the hell out of it, M-power and at least 30 min dwell, towel off, mist with a micro-splitter, towel again, then extract with a sapphire - crystal rinse in tank, towel again, then mist with Fusion Clean, towel again!

After cleaning hundreds of rugs, we have found that short of getting them into a rug bath, this is the most affective way of cleaning. The most important step however, is the back dusting and vacuuming. I'm training a junior using a filthy wool rug at the minute and he's getting schooled on up wick from lack of dry soil removal!