Business options

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
For me I have been busier then last March , getting ready for a spring time boost. I saw some rival companies near me resort to offering grocery delivery ! Bad option . What else are pekoe thinking of to maintain business . ?

Heidi Schachtschneider

Cleantalk Member
I know it's a contentious route to take but we will be offering oven repairs. Not going to go mad but the odd job will top up the income a little.

Reactions: 1 user

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Billy

Like you I'm busy at the moment but expect a sharp slowdown or halt in enquiries.

The problem is any face to face work will be tough especially as I do have many aged customers and they won't want the risk of having people in.

I know many people seem to not like commercial work but I've done a few and always get pain cash or card at the end of the job so I'm looking further at that as we have a number of owner run guest houses b&b's etc and assuming me and the owner are not on self isolation then it could be a route for a few jobs. Although their cash flow issues could prevent them spending. I was going to do this later in the year or early next year as they should be getting busy now but bringing forward my marketing plan for this in light of the current situation. While also face to face of course many of these are fitter younger people than my average residential customer so may be happier if they and I have no symptoms to get work done

Im also preparing new marketing literature to go for a relaunch when I feel things are improving and as mentioned on another thread looking at options around gift voucher marketing

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Well looking at what is happening in other countries empty streets etc I dont think people will want anybody coming in there house at all.

Think we have maybe a week or two before we reach that situation.

Companies are already laying people off so I think people will think twice before spending money on oven cleaning.

I feel sorry for the people in charge it's like brexit all over again. Everyone thinks they no better and we all start arguing.

It's out of my control so will just keep plodding along and do the best I can.

If I have no work and i am healthy it maybe just a case of doing some sort of voluntary work to help the people that need it.

If this truly is the next big pandemic since 1918 there will be 100's of millions loose there lives. It's a scary thought. Hope I am still around and my family is safe.

Reactions: 2 users

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Steve

You right health is the most important.

The businesses I am talking about and done recently are the owner run businesses so no staff to lay off but as mentioned earlier their cashflow could mean its not viable.

The Main focus for me is restarting with as big a push as I can

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
I'm preparing to mothball my business for a couple of months, maybe longer. I think we only have a week or two most until the schools are shut, and at that point I am going to have to stay at home and home educate the kids. Who knows for how long. Potentially until the autumn.

I've looked into reducing the business overheads to the bare minimum, but can't see any savings to be made with insurance etc. Any tips on mothballing a business gratefully received.

Sainsburys was bare today. Not just the tins and packets. Everything gone. Fruit and veg, meat, bread, not even fresh stuff left now. It was frightening! Thankful I have stuff in the freezer, and I'll try again mid week.

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
I have bookings . Let's hope they can be fulfilled before the closing down of the country .

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Hi Christina

Yes I think that's when it will get worse when they shut schools.

I have a brother in law who told me that will be the problem in the manufacturing company where he works. If the staff have to take time off to look after there kids his company will struggle to stay open.

I don't think some people are taking it very serious. I think in a week or two they will have a shock

I guess other than speak to all your direct debit companies see if they can help you out there is nothing else we can do.

I no some lenders are offering breaks on mortgages. Which magazine did say though if you do this make sure they tell the credit reference companies.

Steve

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Billy

Yes that's the problem if we go in lockdown like Spain and italy how many people will let you in to clean there cookers.

The climate change activists will be happy I geuss.

Steve

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
Billy

Yes that's the problem if we go in lockdown like Spain and italy how many people will let you in to clean there cookers.

The climate change activists will be happy I geuss.

Steve
Yes hope shit down. Little longer but lucky have another job o ca. Get into !

Mike Sant

Cleantalk Member
I have noticed it’s starting to go quiet.
Give it 2 or 3 weeks when the country has a lockdown then many people will struggle not just oven cleaners.
Might have to look at alternative employment....

Jake Nash

Cleantalk Member
There will always be those that don't seem too bothered by the virus. Our phone has virtually rung off the hook today. It's those people we all need to find. So keep dropping the leaflets and spend time on the marketing side.

The most important thing is not to catch it from your customers. Caution and all safety precautions to be strictly followed.

As for incentives: Try a free toilet roll with every clean!

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Jake

That's the problem there are those that are not bothered.

They will have to close pubs, restaurants and clubs etc next as people will ignore social distancing which is what happened in other countries.

I geuss we will end up like france at some stage where everyone will be ordered to stay indoors.

I am certainly not going to borrow money on my credit card to stay in business what's the point.

The government at some stage will have to step in and pay everyone's mortgage, utility Bill's and council tax it's the only way or the whole country will collapse.

Some people on here may think they can ride a few months out but as we have seen today two companies have gone bust and loads more will follow. These are our customers losing there lively hoods so it will have an effect on all of us.

It's a sad situation that looks like it will carry on till next year. Not a good thought.

Stay safe everyone

Jake Nash

Cleantalk Member
It could carry on for years. Nobody knows. And then - What next? There's more than one Corona virus out there.

The government relies on taxes of many kinds coming in, in order to pay out. If no taxes come in then that's a major issue. The money can't last forever. I reckon a couple of months at best before very, very drastic action may be needed.

I wouldn't worry too much about mortgages, rent etc. When the money runs out people won't be able to buy whatever food may be on the shelves. Now that's a problem that even stock-piling can't resolve!

My daughter has just been laid off and has absolutely no money at all. She will have to move in with us, as she can only afford to buy food for a week. It's the economic chaos that's the real issue for all countries. When millions are laid off! doesn't bear thinking about.

Make hay while the sun shines and for goodness sake use all sensible precautions. just don't assume that any of you are immune. May even be better to get it early before it mutates. Our friends are both GPs and that's their main concern.

The government has recommended that we all avoid the pub. Wish they added coffee shops in BIG letters. They're all bloody packed in Eastbourne today. Nutters!!!

However I actually personally believe all will work out fine in the end.

Good luck everyone :wave:

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
There are now suggestions that the problems associated with Covid-19 could go on for 18 months, maybe longer.

The more I think about it, a short, sharp shock could be the quickest route to recovery of the worlds' peoples and economies. Everyone to self isolate for a month with only essential workers (to be monitored and checked) having movement. A bit like Marshall Law I suppose. Yes it would be difficult and complicated.

But I fear that too many governments around the world would not have the political will for such extreme actions.

Andy Brown

Cleantalk Member
The government has recommended that we all avoid the pub. Wish they added coffee shops in BIG letters. They're all bloody packed in Eastbourne today. Nutters!!!

However I actually personally believe all will work out fine in the end.

Good luck everyone :wave:
And that, exactly there is the problem, the government are happy for people to go to pubs, restaurants etc to bring in the taxes. However they are happy for our children to carry on going to school even though they can carry the virus without detection.

Mark Roberts.

Cleantalker Veteran
You would likely need upwards of 3 months total isolation like China to get rid of it. What we are about to see over there is when they come back out it's going to spread again so you'd have to have total isolation & quarantine for any coming in. Don't invest in airlines any time soon :smile:

No easy answers for this one

Reactions: 2 users