Calculating How Long

Jason Carter

Cleantalk Member
Hi

We have been running a successful carpet and oven cleaning business for some time now and are regularly asked if we do domestic cleaning too.

We have decided to take the plunge and are quite confident on how to clean, pricing and products; the problem is we have no real experience of how to calculate how long a job will take.

Does anyone have a rough formula that they use and are willing to share?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
How long is a piece of string Jason?
So many variables that I don't think there would be a definitive answer?
All depends on what they'd like doing, how clean or well maintained their homes are, how accessible is everything, how thorough/ fast are you/ workforce & more?
I guess it's always best to survey so that you can see & you may want to try to use your own home cleaning to roughly gauge a time, how long does it take you to clean your bathroom etc?
Carpets & ovens are fairly straight forward to price as you know the size/ condition & what's involved whereas "can you clean my whole house" could be anywhere from 3 hours as they're minimalists to 8 hours because they're hoarders or expect every one of their million ornaments dusted?!

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Jason you want a minimum 2hrs per clean , anything less then it's not worth doing
IE Mid terrace two up two down 2hrs , clients are happy with that
One cleaner 2hrs two cleaners one hour each
As for pricing £15 ph is about the norm for domestics

Chris Coglan

Cleantalk Member
Hi Jason.

I also run and carpet, upholstery and oven cleaning business. we also do domestic/general cleaning. I use 3 different ladies to do that side of it for me, I just go round and check their work. I charge them out at £17 PH and pay them a tenner. Way more money in carpet cleaning, however general cleaning I believe is something that you have to do as a cleaning company.