Chenille rug clean advice

Steven Allans

New Cleantalker
Louis De Poortere Columbus Rug, Gold

85% Cotton Chenille, 15% Polyester

I am looking for some advice on cleaning the above, mainly dirty/grubby around the edges and looking for the best process to clean without damsging.

Jon Chrimes

Cleantalk Member
There are a lot of cotton chenille's around. A local upholster was showing me a book of swatches and each one had subtle differences. A couple of pics might be useful here to help determine the level of soiling and if there are marks / stains etc. That kind of determines how aggressive you might have to be. Then there's discussing the options / risks with the customer. Rugs irrespective of labels can be bit of a minefield. Whilst I like to give simple answers I fear I may have muddied the water further. Best of luck.

Carl Sands

Subscriber
We've cleaned about 50 of them - and we've corrected about 20 that other cleaners have tried to clean and browned - they don't like releasing stains, they brown under even mild alkaline cleaning & spotting, and they neither clean, nor wear well - almost but not quite as bad as viscose. Keep it low moisture and PH neutral/acidic; limit the clients expectations too.

Steven Allans

New Cleantalker
I was going to prespray revive (misted) then blot with a damp cloth then blot dry with another cloth? Do you think this is the best method?

Dan Woodhead

Cleantalk Member
Fusion 8 is the ideal choice subject to pre-tests along with final phase if required for rinsing and de-browning.

Standard microsplitter is also a good product if you want to keep moisture to a minimum and also need a little more of a kick . Check dilution rates and mix as appropriate, again subject to tests, and use final phase in the tank.

Fusion Clean and a towel can also help in certain circumstances.