Christmas tip update

Rolph Groth

Cleantalk Member
yesterday did two doubles, first job £5 with no manipulation second job lady told me her son was going to come around to clean extractor and filters, i did it and said " save your son a job and what the heck, it's christmas" bang £10 tip ... modest amounts of manipulation and a gamble of a job unrewarded but only took two minutes so worth the gamble, today easy single with a strait £5 tip then on to a range and extractor £110 2.5 hours no tip running total since wednesday £20

Darren Paterson

Cleantalk Member
When I worked at Royal Mail
We were advised by management never to accept a tip of any sort from a customer
As it will be viewed by the company as a Bribe…
So Of course none of us posties ever accepted a tip or bribe at Christmas
😆

Rolph Groth

Cleantalk Member
I have great trouble manipulating customers.

How does everybody do it, especially at christmas ?

I might be missing out on more money ?

J
i use the word manipulate largely as a joke, but there are certain ten minute jobs like cleaning and buffing out the extractor or saying something like, "im really sorry, i know i told you i would be 90 minutes but i want this to be perfect for you, i'm gonna need another 20 minutes" basically you listen first and find out what make them tick then feed it back to them, they are tipping you not the job. if the man of the house has a man cave shed/home bar or whatever and you know he thinks its great tell him how much you would love to have one yourself, treat him like a baller and he will tip like one

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
i use the word manipulate largely as a joke, but there are certain ten minute jobs like cleaning and buffing out the extractor or saying something like, "im really sorry, i know i told you i would be 90 minutes but i want this to be perfect for you, i'm gonna need another 20 minutes" basically you listen first and find out what make them tick then feed it back to them, they are tipping you not the job. if the man of the house has a man cave shed/home bar or whatever and you know he thinks its great tell him how much you would love to have one yourself, treat him like a baller and he will tip like one
Are you being serious or is that a joke? Are you that desperate 🤔
Do a good job and you will have a repeat customer for life worth far more than a few quid.

I would not stoop so low

Jon Chrimes

Cleantalk Member
This country is a bit sniffy about tips, just watch the face of your server in the States when he or she realises your a Brit!
Personally I'm happy to tip when I receive great service, I also get a kick out receiving the odd one here and there.
Positive communication with your customer is all part of their overall service experience with you. If that encourages the customer to tip you so what! If Rolph has developed this to a point where he's being tipped more often, again so what?
Part of a business plan? No
Part of active engagement and positive communication with customer, absolutely and if it happens to make the customer want to tip, why not?
:popcorn: I await counter arguments...

Rolph Groth

Cleantalk Member
This country is a bit sniffy about tips, just watch the face of your server in the States when he or she realises your a Brit!
Personally I'm happy to tip when I receive great service, I also get a kick out receiving the odd one here and there.
Positive communication with your customer is all part of their overall service experience with you. If that encourages the customer to tip you so what! If Rolph has developed this to a point where he's being tipped more often, again so what?
Part of active engagement and positive communication with customer, absolutely and if it happens to make the customer want to tip, why not?
you said it much better then i could

Rolph Groth

Cleantalk Member
I actually believe that if you don't get tipped on at least 50% of your jobs ylou need to wonder why