Cleaning of pub wooden flooring

Jacob Ward

Cleantalk Member
Bonnet on a rotary may leave swirl mark's

Sanding would be my first choice with my excentr machine as It has none of the drawbacks of a rotary.

Does the floor have a wax or varnish applied to it ?

A strip of what ever topical on it and a reapply would probably get some results.

J

Peter McDougall

Cleantalk Member
If sanding really isn't an option you could stick some blue brushes in a pro35, lightly apply STS and use a hard floor wand to vac it all up.

As Jacob said, a rotary might leave swirl marks.

If you want to be more gentle a mist with sts and use an xr pad mop on it then microfibre mop to "rinse".

pete ashton

Cleantalk Member
Hi Jacob thanks for input, customer definitely doesn't want the expense of sanding. Peter, don't own any CRB machines so can't do that, have no rotary was gonna hire one. Maybe a milder blue pad would be better and not leave swirls. The wood isn't treated with a seal or wax finish, so I'm guessing a vigorous clean with a degrease. But don't think a mop would be sufficient.

Peter McDougall

Cleantalk Member
Hi Jacob thanks for input, customer definitely doesn't want the expense of sanding. Peter, don't own any CRB machines so can't do that, have no rotary was gonna hire one. Maybe a milder blue pad would be better and not leave swirls. The wood isn't treated with a seal or wax finish, so I'm guessing a vigorous clean with a degrease. But don't think a mop would be sufficient.
Get on the blower to World of Clean and get a pro35. You won't regret it.

Sean Wilson

Cleantalk Member
Personally if you don’t have the tools then I wouldn’t do it.

that floor is screaming out to be sanded and sealed.

I wouldn’t be using a pro 35 as I don’t see it helping and adding moisture won’t do that floor any good. If it was sealed then maybe.

you don’t even need to use a belt sander. Just a sanding pad on any Excentr (or similar) and you would be surprised how it will transform.

If the customer doesn’t want that service then I would have to decline.

better to do a job right and your way then the customers cheap way.

pete ashton

Cleantalk Member
Hi Sean thanks for the advice, the floor is part of a complete quote. Customer is on a very tight budget, which I don't want to push to hard on expanding. Have advised on best solution, belt sander and a polyurethane seal. He won't budge so I have explained the results and limited the expectation, with the methods I have available. He is happy to proceed on that basis and I will address the problem once he has an established business, some available cash flow and we'll take it from there. On the upside I have been awarded the cleaning contract including windows and twice weekly cleaning of the pub, 6 monthly deep clean and air bnb turn around cleaning of the upstairs accommodation too so I'm a fairly happy bunny..

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
Hi Pete.
I used to do a couple of pub/restaurant floors like that. Always no money always busy, used to use a polish stripper first then a polish, applied by wide mop, any job like this takes time, and I used to do either early morning or late at night. One was a really dark stained floor and used a High Gloss Polish, 2 coats, North South, then East West, always looked a mint job, the owner had it done 3 times a year, better than a sand and finish job for pricing.

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
If they did a sanding pad David they'd have to think about adding dust extraction, a few more pads with different abrasion, weight and maybe a different motor. Probably why Tilemaster sell Bona sanders as well now.