Cleaning under grill heat elements. Help

Andy kopczyk

Cleantalk Member
Good monday morning to you all. When cleaning ovens im unsure how to clean behind the heating element thats on the roof. Ive ordered a long scraper but was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks to get it out easily so i can get that wow factor all round. Alternatively how do u go about cleaning under it. Cheers

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Unless you want to risk using your cleaning products near the element which I wouldn't then all you can do is scrape as much as you can off. I like the long handled scraper for it because if you get the grill hot first it comes off better and long handled scrapers help you not burn your hands although I have had many burns. Never had a customer who wasn't happy with this approach. Very occasionally you get oven where the top enamel slides out which goes in the tank I think its mainly smeg ovens that tend to have these one of the only good points about a smeg.

Joe Sharpe

Cleantalk Member
I tend to manage expectations regards the roof with the elements.
I'll explain i will try to get as much off but that the elements are very fragile and I won't risk damaging their oven.
Some elements can be lowered by removing a screw but even then I will tread with caution.
If there is obvious flaky carbon then i scrap or brush that off.

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
It's Alwys the 10 years old oven with a grill that never been touched . Soon as u soften the carbon tho it not to difficult . Never spray it tho ! Plant the paste with causation non caustic helps .

Paul_Simpson

Cleantalk Member
I find the roof above the element comes off easier than the rest of the oven and don't usually require anything other than the long reach scraper.
Assuming it's a low level oven I lie flat on my back, goggles on. light facing up and reach up with the scraper, usually only takes a couple of minutes, unless it's really bad.

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Christina, I lay on my back as well I'm over 6 foot and laying down is easier than trying to bend my body so I can see top of ovens if they are low down. If I tried to do it any other way I would need a chiropractor to get me upright again

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Yes, I suppose I take for granted sometimes that I am small and bendy by nature. I do a lot of twisting reaching the roof from outside the oven which would be awkward for a big guy. That being said, I put my back out trying to lift too many cast iron pan stands at once last week, so sometimes being super flexible is not good.

Do you put a towel down on the oven floor for your head then? I normally degrease and paste all the surfaces in one go, so me getting in the oven could be a messy affair!

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Christina you are also not heading for 50 I assume I was more flexible in my younger days. After removing back panel, shelves, fan etc for tank I start with top after heating it laying down and fully scraping it before doing sides and bottom unlike you I use caustic so doesn't take as long

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
Roof first and then not geting all the mess in the back of the head laying down . That is a perfect plan .

David Lynch

Cleantalk Member
Was at a clean over a year ago. Did above the element pretty good albeit a few little stubborn pieces. Explained this to the customer and told her about the risks involved to the upper element cleaning in that area. Face like thunder she got her husband and I had to explain that cleaning above the element was difficult due to the contouring of the oven roof and also the element was obstructing and could get damaged. Cant you remove the element and clean the (miniscule) deposits off. "I DONT REMOVE ELEMENTS TO CLEAN BEHIND" was my answer and I also pointed I would have to remove the double oven from the wall to reach the lement mount screws at the back. "Cant you pull the oven out, remove the element and clean the minuscule deposits." There are some idiots out there, you have to be careful what you say to them.

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
More patience than me. I always just say I will do the best I can and explain why.

I am afraid with his response I would have just said if you are not happy I am happy to go. Wait and see what he says. Its then upto them. You are not a qualified electrician. Some people are just stupid I'm afraid.

Steve

Mike Cocks

Cleantalk Member
I scrape off as much as I can then use solutions oven gloop gets them nice and clean. Just make sure you give a good rinse then turn on full wake to dry off

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
I scrape off as much as I can then use solutions oven gloop gets them nice and clean. Just make sure you give a good rinse then turn on full wake to dry off
Mike, do you ever have problems if you get oven gloop on the elements? I assume that you brush it on I was always told it was risky to use such products near the element so I only scrape where I can

Lee Wagstaff

Cleantalk Member
Most unscrew and can bend them down a little some even come straight done giving full access. but failing that a long reach scraper is perfect :lol:

Mike Cocks

Cleantalk Member
Mike, do you ever have problems if you get oven gloop on the elements? I assume that you brush it on I was always told it was risky to use such products near the element so I only scrape where I can
Nope pull element down a little if u can Brush on leave a little while then wipe off. As far as I know no comeback s

Mohammed Al-Hagin

Cleantalk Member
bend them down a little some even come straight done giving full access.
Same as Lee, you can feel how much give it will allow. sometimes I can get about 6" of clearance which allows me to scrape and scour. I only use a degreaser and some pink stuff on it. rinse thoroughly and dry with a towel. I wipe the entire element to make sure I get any drips or residue off it before switching it on at the end.

Dave Overton

Cleantalk Member
I’ve a bit of an issue regarding this at the moment. Get to the job yesterday and the mother lets me in and points to the oven as she’s busy with a little one and her daughter (who booked me), was busy upstairs.
Anyway, oven was disgusting but came up lovely, the roof however was really bad and the element barely moved an inch so not a lot I could do.

Customer saw it at the end and was happy. Then last night I get a text saying she isn’t happy. Couple of messages backwards & forwards and now she said she’s going to get the element removed so I can come back week and ‘do a proper job’.

That pleased me as you can imagine.

What you you good folk do?... I know what I’m tempted to say!!