Cleaning under grill heat elements. Help

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
with reading this it seems some of us have customers that get a cleaner oven than with others , I will carry on cleaning the roof for my customers while you all wont .
Thats right I feel the risk of damage to elements is too high so I wont risk it, you can carry on the higher risk approach

Paul Dennis

Cleantalk Member
Thats right I feel the risk of damage to elements is too high so I wont risk it, you can carry on the higher risk approach
No risk , that what checks are for , like I say I dont wont to offer the same clean as a £20er but just charge more so for the extra I offer to clean what they dont . the roof is in some cases the hardest part so thats when we earn our money . when we post photos we can show the whole of the oven and not just take a pic 10 foot from the oven to say oooo look I got the glass clean . so we are all different and offer different levels of clean , if you dont clean all that can be and your customers are fine with it then great , for mine I will give everything I can .

Luke Lewis

Cleantalk Member
I agree with joe if you explain the problem the vast majority will just say do your best. Bot worth taking the risk and ending up with a repair bill. I personally think some people go over the top trying to do too much when cleaning ovens.

Luke not sure how you say you never have a problem dropping an element as there are not many cookers these days that will drop down at all.

Can you please enlighten us on what special training you have had to be able to do this?

Steve
It’s not special trainning its just the correct trainning.

Pretty much every element drops down. We wouldn’t be doing it everyday if they was that fragile.

If you are not touching the roof at all you are leaving the oven at risk of smoking and potentially fire!

customers are okay with it because they know no different. It’s our job as professionals to educate them.

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Yes but luke you say you drop every element how far do they drop? 1 cm in a Bosch, Jeff, Siemens what difference does that make to access?

Total waste of time. Just heat it up scrape of what you can. Re heat and decrease and you will have no complaints if it does not smoke.

I do not believe you can remove 95% of the carbon with such limited access it is not possible.

Steve

Luke Lewis

Cleantalk Member
Boch, Neff, Simmens elements drop down fine. I can get my arm, scrapper, scourer above those no problem.

I have lost count the customers I have been to that say the last guy never touched the roof. Or didn’t clean it properly.

Just this week I visited a customer who had just had the oven cleaned. When cooking a big lump of grease fell down from the roof and burnt her arm. Poor lady wasn’t happy.

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Luke next time you clean one then can you add a picture to show us how far it drops down.

They only move about a centimetre are you forcing them down ?

Never had a complaint in over 13 years so will not risk damaging an element when there is no need to.

Paul Dennis

Cleantalk Member
Yes but luke you say you drop every element how far do they drop? 1 cm in a Bosch, Jeff, Siemens what difference does that make to access?

Total waste of time. Just heat it up scrape of what you can. Re heat and decrease and you will have no complaints if it does not smoke.

I do not believe you can remove 95% of the carbon with such limited access it is not possible.

Steve
Then we will have to agree to disagree , after 13 years you feel you know more than most , I only 6 years but have always done the roof unless the element shows signs of ware damage then I clean the roof . The forum I am on they all do full cleans .

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Paul

You are missing my point I do clean the roof as best I can but people are saying the elements drop down.

How can a drop of 1 cm allow you to get your complete arm above the elememt.

Just saying I would like to see a pic of this if possible

Luke Lewis

Cleantalk Member
Paul

You are missing my point I do clean the roof as best I can but people are saying the elements drop down.

How can a drop of 1 cm allow you to get your complete arm above the elememt.

Just saying I would like to see a pic of this if possible
I have attached some pics of elements once the screws are out. There is a lot more space than 1 Cm. I should think maybe more like 15 Cm. Done in the right way you can also pull the element down further with one hand whilst using the other hand to clean.

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Luke

Thanks for adding the pics but I am talking about the latest Bosch, neff and Siemens models those are the older versions.

Steve

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Luke

Thanks for adding the pics but I am talking about the latest Bosch, neff and Siemens models those are the older versions.

Steve
I had one like you mention the other day. A neff take the screw out and it drops one inch or so but with the lip on the top of the oven I couldn't get my big shovel of a hand in there. So fastened it up and went between the bars of the element and done what I could

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Derek

Yes that's what I have been trying to say all along the new versions do not drop down far enough to get your hand fully under.

Geuss people do not seem to no what I am talking about.

Steve

Luke Lewis

Cleantalk Member
But people were not talking about the “latest” models. They said they do not touch element or clean above them because it’s to risky?

The Latest’s models are even easier, if I remember on my travels I will take a pic.

If it only comes down an inch make it come down more, put your hand on it and pull it down so you can get in there. They are tougher than you think.

Duncan Bramwell

Cleantalk Member
I do my best on every oven but would not say I get everything off. I cant believe getting everything off is possible in all cases. I only drop elements that are easy to lower but again still dont get everything off its not practical.

I have not had complaints and no one has queried it. When I mention ive done what I can near the element they always agree that they didn't expect it to be perfect due to access issues with element.

I aim for perfection but openly admit that perfection is rarely achieved so settle for a very good result.
Great answer!