Color Run On Rug

Kelvin Gay

Cleantalk Member
Hi all,

Encounter a commercial carpet rug, pre spray with M Power, then bonnet clean, realise that substantial color actually was transferred to my bonnet pad.

Any advise?

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Kelvin,

Did your wet crocking test not indicate the problem?

What type/fibre is the rug?

Do you have dye bleed/transfer issues?

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Kevin

MANY oriental rugs will bleed colour regardless of what you use or how you clean them, the art is to be able to control it/ work with it or stop it

I rarely bonnet clean oriental rugs as (amongst other tings) it damages them but also I am in less control when the red starts going into the cream (for argument sake)!
Here's something to research tonight. One reason they bleed.....it has something to do with how they were dyed & what the dyes are sourced from

Kelvin Gay

Cleantalk Member
Yes, the wet crocking test show dye transfer..what would be the right method for this cleaning?

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Well Kelvin, the result of that test should have alerted you to the need to take action to deal with the issue. There is no point in conducting test if you are going to ignore the results. I hope that the rug was not worth a kings ransom.

As to the right method of cleaning that rug, there are so many variables that no one can give a definitive answer without knowing all the facts - this is why a training course in oriental rug cleaning takes days to conduct rather than the few minutes it takes to read a forum reply.

Steve has suggested a project for you and I suggest that you take his advice and follow it. It will not give you all the answers but you will be closer to knowing how to clean a rug.

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
To echo my learned friend
I cannot believe that you actually tested a rug
but then to ignore the results & BONNET clean...oh lordy, that could've been a very expensive play date!

Quite rightly I do think, I never aim to give you all that you seek, instead I drop breadcrumbs for you to seek out more

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Kelvin

I would not elect to clean a wool rug in the way you have described.

Reading your post carefully, it would appear that no damage to the rug has been caused and that your concern is about colour transfer only to your pad. If this is the case, no colour damage caused.

But learn from this experience and do not repeat your mistake.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Kelvin Gay

Cleantalk Member
Hmm...dont really encounter much of rug cleaning in commercial ...but how would you guys clean rugs with dye bleed?

Secondly, is rug cleaning like very much different from carpet cleaning and require a different course?

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Kelvin,

It is unfair to ask such general questions. Not all rugs with dye bleed need to be treated in the same way as not all rugs are the same. What is appropriate in one instance may be totally inappropriate in another.

Yes, the cleaning of oriental rugs requires additional knowledge and skills, which is why the courses are different.