Continue or quit

Billy Marsh

Dedicated Cleantalker
After 6 years and I say 2 half of then cleaning ovens only with out extra income . I don't believe there is enough money in it charge £50 £ 70 £100 . The cost of products adverts and van. Yes the job nice but I'm loseing faith . People want cheap and it need to be done lots of time in a year. After looking at a new van agin in Xmas and the cost of it I can't see it being any more then a part time job. I see franchise pretending it good but don't see it . Any thoughts ?

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
I suppose the important question is how much money do you want to earn from it? What are your goals money-wise?

I see your issue with getting a new van. My own £950 banger van has seemed to develop an issue with the power steering today, and I reckon the garage will say it is not worth repairing. So new van eats into costs a lot.

Simon Coller

Cleantalk Member
diversify, add window cleaning, carpet cleaning, hard floor, end of tenancy, patios.....gardening, decorating, anything that makes more dosh... you can do it!

Reactions: 1 users

Neil Kelloway

Well-Known Cleantalker
Billy
The information you have supplied dosent really give us enough information to give you a good reply .

1. What service do you supply
2.what avg money would you like to earn
3. What do you need to tick over
4 . What do you do advertising atm .

Reactions: 3 users

Tommy Caddick

Cleantalk Member
How many ovens do you do a day? Are you busy? It can be disheartening when you hit a quiet patch, but it swings in roundabouts I find.

Additional services is a good idea. Don't end up a jack of all trades but find something you can happily tie in with your ovens and self promote to your current customer base. Just through conversation we get so much work from our oven customers for our carpet cleaning.

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 users

Billy Marsh

Dedicated Cleantalker
Sorry for being vage. Well the van is all back and it cost me nothing and was in the Warrenty And did not lose any work . Just waiting to get back on my feet. I have thought about adding window cleaning . I have adverts out and customers calling back. Profit is Comeing in each year. I have to Xmas which is the time the van comes up. I am going to see then. I suppose it's down to wanting it . Passion passion .

Rolph Groth

Cleantalk Member
Billy I agree with the guy;s who advise you to ad more services, i think i could make a living doing just end of tenancy cleaning but it is a :censored: waiting for estate agents to pay, oven cleaning just makes sure my cash flow is ok all year long

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
Hi Billy, I have read your posts over the last few years and you come across as someone who knows all about the job.
Sorry to read that you are thinking about jacking it in, my thoughts on it would sit down and go through everything from start to finish with a clear head. Try to figure out why its not working out the way you want it to , then figure out what to do about it.
Unlike the other posts , I think offering other services is the wrong thing to do , cant see how you can grow your oven cleaning business if your messing around with other stuff.
Clearly you can do the job.
More than happy to chat to you and offer any help I can, just pm me.
Good luck with whatever you decide