Daily Office cleaning

Mark Slaney

Cleantalk Member
Hi all, looking for some advice on Daliy office cleans. Don't usually get involved with this but been getting alot of enquiries about it. What i want to know is what hourly rate you charge the company.

Thanks Mark

Jim Neal

Cleantalk Member
You need minimum-wage staff otherwise you'll never make any profit out of it. Expect high staff turnover, refusal to be trained properly, poor reliability, theft problems & unexplained absence issues.

After you've paid the staff, bought their uniforms & PPE, trained them, extended your insurance cover, bought the cleaning equipment, replaced the equipment because your staff neglect and break it, bought the solutions, bought more solutions because the staff massively over-use them or take them home... you'll be left with a very modest fraction of the hourly rate you're charging for them to be there.

Compared to carpet cleaning you'll never make any decent money out of contract cleaning unless you do it on a massive scale and add up all those tiny percentages into a half respectable profit for all the hassle.

But don't let me put you off :smile:

Andrew Briscoe

Cleantalk Member
I got into contract cleaning about 4/5 years ago, quite by accident.
A nursery called me and asked if i did such work as they needed holiday and sickness cover for their own cleaner. Was only 2 hours/night over 5 days and i thought ok why not.
We then covered her maternity leave, then she never came back, as they thought i was doing such a good job, they gave us it permanently.
Next a friend of mine who owns a plant hire business said their contractors had given up and so we got that contract too.
We now have about 200 contract hours a week, i have 3 full time cleaners,3 part time, 1 ex chemy dry guy who covers the carpet cleaning 1 office lady and myself. We also do the odd one off house clean, builders cleans for about 12 building companies.

As Jim says the bigger you are the easier it gets, it is hard work at the start, but can be fruitfull, although you have to keep a close eye on all your contracts and staff, Jim says you have to pay minimum wage, however this is why you will end up with a high staff turnover, which creates many problems, i soon learned and now pay well above the min wage, currently £6.50/hr, which for the poor north is a good wage, and staff stay loyal.

Main reason i got into it was to give myself a good pension, as a carpet cleaner, you can only sell on a bit of goodwill and some second hand gear.

We have a target of £250k/ year turnover for end of next year, and hope to sell on business in 10 years when i will be 55,hopefully!!!

Rates to charge will vary, my lowest is £11.75/hr for a 45 hr per week contract, hoping to raise soon !!.
Some cleans we do are once or twice a week and , 1 takes 2x1hr visits and i charge £220 + vat/ month and some i charge £30 + vat for 1 hr / week.
We also supply consumables, and charge these ober and above the contract price, never put them in, as staff will take them home for their own use.
So charge from 11.75 to about 18/hr depending on visits and hours.

Hope this helps Mark, feel free to ask away.
Andrew.