New Decking Cleaning -A Service You can Provide

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Paul,

Solution Decking cleaner should be safe to use on painted wood, provided that the paint is sound.

It can also be scrubbed in with a suitable hand broom. A 'deck scrubber' has bristles that are too tightly packed to allow them to enter the grooves so a stiff yard broom would be more suitable. After scrubbing the pressure from a garden hose would be sufficient to rinse off as the contamination will already be detached.

Tony Nash

Cleantalker Veteran
Graham,

I'd like to say that you have found the ideal solution but the fact is that the product aids rather than replaces the action of a pressure washer. nick used to have a couple of product that were great at inhibiting algal growth on hard surfaces - I sprayed some north-facing walls on my house about four years ago and have not needed the previous twice-yearly pressure wash since. But I doubt that they would dramatically reduce moss growth.

There you go Phil....

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Tony,

My earlier answer referred to un-painted wood, whereas the situation is different when cleaning paint.

In fact too high a pressure might find any weak spots in the paint and cause it to lift.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
That's it Ross. The water needs to be hot enough to activate the product but not so hot that it fizzes like mad.

Andrew Briscoe

Cleantalk Member
Rustins decking oil is supposed to be good stuff
although not used it.

Still waiting for weather to change before doing my own,
have a flyer ready to go out, just need bloody sun to shine

Andrew

Ross Ketley

Cleantalk Member
Cheers Andrew, i will have a look at Rustins.
Anyone used Osmo products? Cabots Australian timber is meant to be the best decking oil around but unable to find a supplier in the UK:pop:

Des Rynne

Cleantalk Member
Silly question .But i could not find this any where is there a dwell time .Or is it spray on agitate and wash off :thinking:

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Not silly Des,

In many cases the only dwell required would be the time it takes to agitate but on ingrained soiling, some additional dwell would be beneficial.