Dirty dirty dirty

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
I'm still in recovery from my worst oven ever yesterday. Shame I don't have any pictures to share. I was so shocked, I forgot to take any! It was a double Neff Combi, and the woman admitted it had not been cleaned for 10 years!!! Why oh why would anyone do this? She had a nice house, it was clean, she didn't even look like she worked. The element was so far gone I dare not burn it off for fear of starting a fire. Stalactites growing up there. The roasting trays were crazed with thick carbon like the sahara desert. Surely every time she turned it on for the last 9 years it has stunk the house out and made everyone's eyes sting? What is it with this weird sub culture of people that never seem to clean their roasting dish? There was me thinking it was the done thing to roast something, and then wash it up afterwards. Not leave it in the oven for 10 years! Why is it some people keep the rest of their house nice, and the oven is beyond disgusting?

Reactions: 1 user

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Welcome to the world of oven cleaning. I had someone blame the previous owner once . I assumed she had just moved in. When I asked she said she had been there 10 years lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Been to many of them but unlike yours many of them the houses are as bad! One the oven was covered in dog and cat hairs stuck to the grease on the front of the doors the inside was beyond disgusting. And many times found food in them including a jacket potato that looked like a lump of coal, the customer said 'I don't know how long thats been there for!' so just been cooking it with her food for quite some time. I use rubber mats to protect the floor but in some houses it more accurate to say its to protect me from the floor.

Reactions: 1 users

Jason Lee

Cleantalk Member
Been to a few like that Derek.. Where you actually stick to the floor.
Only ever walked away from one clean. A free standing unit which had clearly had a fire on the inside.. Dodged a bullet with that one.
I see the bad one's as a challenge and like the end result.

Joe Sharpe

Cleantalk Member
Yeah wiping your feet on the way out..............

Had my first repeat customer yesterday, 5 months since i last cleaned it and it was easy. Still needed a clean, but not years of grime to remove first....

But having said that, the dirtier the better as the wow factor is bigger!
Best thing i found in an oven has been the bloke forgot to take out the cannibis leaves he had been i assume drying out.....
That was when i worked for someone else and i think some social housing contract....not that middle class and others above don't do drugs, but i doubt they ever use an oven to dry out a stash....

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
Have been to a few ovens of the deceased . There might of had other things on there mind! But still they come up well!

David Lynch

Cleantalk Member
These type of cleans are the ones that worry me. Everyone fills out the diary for the days work and you get one of these first which takes ages to get to a so so finish. Some people post that a double never takes more than 1hr 30min. Sounds a bit like the gamblers that only ever tell you about their wins.

Reactions: 3 users

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
David

Not sure how long you have been doing oven cleaning. There are definitely sgl 1 1/2 ovens out there that only take 1 1/2 hours to do and I only use a tank I full up every job.

When you say a double oven do you mean ovens on a range? Never had one of them that takes 1 1/2 hours.

It is annoying though if you get a bad one to start with. Puts you out for the day

Heidi Schachtschneider

Cleantalk Member
Oh, this reminds me of a customer I had a few months ago. I knew it was gonna be a bad one just by the chaotic state of her front yard! And indeed it was a greasy horrid mess (but all in a day's work). The kids are all sitting in the kitchen as I'm setting myself up, one of them stops eating and asks "mummy is that person here to take all the rats away". The mum looked horrified!! I try not to judge but some days that's hard. Haha.

Jacob Ward

Cleantalk Member
On the rat subject....

In march when I moved to a farm in Wales there where 19 cars in and around one of the stable buildings
Everybody said they where to control the rats and mice generated from the cow barn along the road.

There where rodents everywhere.

After a few weeks with a trap :lol:

And we ended up with 2 very clever cats.....

No mice and rats now, and the cows are in for the winter.

You can be messy but there is another level where the rodents thrive.

J

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Yeah wiping your feet on the way out..............

Had my first repeat customer yesterday, 5 months since i last cleaned it and it was easy. Still needed a clean, but not years of grime to remove first....

But having said that, the dirtier the better as the wow factor is bigger!
Best thing i found in an oven has been the bloke forgot to take out the cannibis leaves he had been i assume drying out.....
That was when i worked for someone else and i think some social housing contract....not that middle class and others above don't do drugs, but i doubt they ever use an oven to dry out a stash....
Makes the standard sausage that rolled to the back of the oven look positively dull!

Keith Hill

New Cleantalker
I'm still in recovery from my worst oven ever yesterday. Shame I don't have any pictures to share. I was so shocked, I forgot to take any! It was a double Neff Combi, and the woman admitted it had not been cleaned for 10 years!!! Why oh why would anyone do this? She had a nice house, it was clean, she didn't even look like she worked. The element was so far gone I dare not burn it off for fear of starting a fire. Stalactites growing up there. The roasting trays were crazed with thick carbon like the sahara desert. Surely every time she turned it on for the last 9 years it has stunk the house out and made everyone's eyes sting? What is it with this weird sub culture of people that never seem to clean their roasting dish? There was me thinking it was the done thing to roast something, and then wash it up afterwards. Not leave it in the oven for 10 years! Why is it some people keep the rest of their house nice, and the oven is beyond disgusting?
SO SO TRUE. BEEN DOING THIS BUSINESS FOR 16 YEARS AND STILL NEVER FAILS TO AMAZE ME.
GLAD TO BE RETIRING IN MARCH........... ANYONE FANCY A READYMADE, PROFITABLE BUSINESS WITH LARGE REGULAR CLIENT DATABASE IN THE BEAUTIFUL SCENIC LAKE DISTRICT