Eco power

Billy Marsh

Dedicated Cleantalker
How eco are you really , paste and dip tank fluid . Do u reuse your dish cloth or paper towel. How much fuel ?. Profit is important but I noticed people mentioning keeping a tank for so months till they refill ! Does that help eco or pocket! Flyers cards how much waste? . I consider my self eco friendly . I suppose I spend more because of it?

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Good question! I try to be as eco friendly as possible, but need to make a profit too. I use bio degreaser. I use two pastes, either dirtbusters or pink, depending on the type of enamel. Don't think either of these are that bad for the environment. Dip tank, I tried dirtbusters granules, and they were just not cleaning the racks and trays effectively enough. After spending too long scrubbing I moved to FF. Personally I think FF is not too bad because it is not bioaccumulative and degrades. As long as the water treatment plant adjusts the water PH, I hope FF is not as bad as some products. I re-use cloths and wash them in a machine which is powered by solar panels for some of the year, other times it uses electricity from a provider which claims to provide 100% green power.

But the flip side is I get through a lot of washing powder, which is bad for the environment. What is worse, paper towels or lots of laundry? I'm not sure. I drive a diesel van, again not good! Get through very little fuel because I cover a small patch. And when I come across a hell oven, I get out the gloop because I am not going to spend 5 hours scrubbing on a job, need to make a profit. I use lead acid batteries in my van, which must be toxic to produce and ultimately dispose of. I send out leaflets and business cards.

My bottom line is, if I didn't clean this oven, the customer would either do it themselves with Oven Pride or Mr Muscle. Or they would chuck it out and buy a new oven. Both of which are bad for the environment. This is how I justify my occasional gloop guilt.

Reactions: 1 users

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
Not something I worry about really . I live in a very small village and honestly don't think anything I do or don't do will effect the planet one little bit.

Reactions: 1 user

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
We will be infiltrated by extinction rebellion next
No, I come in peace. I'm not an eco warrior, but the USP of my business is eco friendly cleaning, so as far as the business is concerned I like to live up to my customers expectations. Each to their own, but I cover a very affluent area of the country, and eco is a huge plus around here.

Keen to hear from other eco cleaners, what green products/approaches have been sustainable for you, and what have you had to compromise on?

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
Well I also live in a very affluent area, I am not sure my customers would expect me to be eco friendly . A lot of my work during the summer months is spent driving to huge country houses to clean Agas and big Lacanche ovens ,which are hardly environmentally friendly to say the least. I have never been asked by a customer if I am eco friendly or not . Like everyone else i presume?, lots of my customers have gas cookers/hobs so being green is hardly top of their list.
Is it worth being an eco cleaner when you are cleaning non environmentally friendly applainces?
Not looking for an argument just asking.

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Ask Newton. He had a good answer.
And Newton knew what he was talking about. Why make a bad situation worse?
It is not under my control what type of ovens customers choose to have, but when I set up my business I was able to decide whether it was green or not.
Duncan, what are the main advantages you find by not being eco? Is it that it speeds things up? I guess it is fair to say that because I advertise as eco, I attract the customers who are actively seeking that out. Lots ask about the products etc.

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
Never said I wasn't eco friendly only that I have never been asked. But am I eco friendly ? cant work it out to tell you the truth. Honestly I don't understand it all,
I guess I am as green as the next cleaner but if I drive 30 miles in my van to clean a big Aga and 30 miles back does that make me green? I don't use any harsh chemicals while I am there but even if I did does that make a bad situation worse? Its all beyond me.

Billy Marsh

Dedicated Cleantalker
Very interesting reply's . I tend to stick to eco but I know and agree that that whole oven process are as eco as possible . Maybe it selfish but I think that it little less harmful . Overall we are all trying . Don't want to be first in line if the customers turn on in eco . Remember hair sprays !

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalk Team
I prefer to use the term eco-considerate.

OK, I was a carpet cleaner but there is a crossover. I used the smallest van suitable for the way I work and my driving focused on mpg rather than mph. My cleaning solutions were more concentrated than most so by going further, my waste packaging was reduced. OK, my cleaning solutions were sourced from plant and food grade ingredients, and I didn't use mineral solvents but ones sourced from plant oils, so that helped too. Being able to use cold water as a rinse saved on energy consumption. By investing in the latest equipment, the amp draw was reduced by up to 25%

By using emails where possible, instead of printed paper, I probably saved a twig or two from a tree.

As small businesses we can only make relatively small contributions to the eco-movement. I included information on my website which helped with lead generation but I never sold from the eco platform unless requested for more info. I did have a commercial enquiry once though and, as usual, I did my research on them before quotation. They were big into all things eco so I was able to refer them to my web page and adjusted my presentation accordingly.

Eco-consideration may not win you much work, but a lack of it can lose it for you.

Reactions: 2 users

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
I suspect the most affluent customers are the biggest polluters in the planet so not sure what that has to do with it?

Do the poorer people not care about the planet?

Just saying

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
That's my point , I don't think my customers care if I am eco friendly or not. Rich or poor it doesn't seem to make a difference . Gas cookers/hobs are not eco friendly but I clean gas hobs most days, BBQs , Agas , most of the things we clean are not environmentally friendly.
It seems bizarre to me, to expect a cleaner to be eco friendly to clean these appliances.