Employees

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
self employed is an option if they only do a certain number of hours I think?

You may also want to fine tooth comb your insurance just to see if they have to be named or whether it is the company that carries the PL & Employers liability

hayley fereday

Cleantalk Member
Not weird terry, as explained I’m new to this site

Also I was thinking of the self employed route but sure there is red tape around it all

Joe Hatton

Cleantalker Veteran
If you go the self employed route, that means the self employed person can choose to work for you (:clap:) or not (:na:). So you coming up for a big job where you need THAT person, they may decide not to make themselves available, or worse let you down at the last minute. OK, you may then decide not to use that person again - but you loose out again.

Colin wilson

New Cleantalker
Hi Hayley.
no way other than the self employed route but they could easily take your work from you. employing can be straight forward if you keep It under the LEL. lower earning limit for tax and insurance.

Garry Neilson

Cleantalk Member
Self employed really or a subcontractor such as an agency, but not sure what you mean off the books, off the books normally means illegally ie cash, if your hiring someone else then you want them on the books as its an expense. There is just as much risk as an employee a self employed person or an agency taking your work although hiring through another larger cleaning agency is not that great of an idea. You are still responsible for that person to the person you took that job from so unless you have a friendly self employed person looking for extra work you would just as well employ someone direct. Also not that much red tape we are a 2 person team mostly and we are both self employed, all I do is bill the person for my services and they bill the client.

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
If the person works solely for you and you dictate the place and time of work, supply the equipment, then that person is employed by you no matter how you pay them.
A very small company that did just this was hit for 332 000 for tax and NI for the previous 6 years.

hayley fereday

Cleantalk Member
Hi
I've got someone working for me but I'm not their only job, so I'll ask them to invoice me for the 10 hours they will be doing a week
Is that right ? Then I tell my tax man

Terry Miles

Cleantalk Member
Yes that's fine Hayley, as long as you declare what you pay them as a contracted services expense come tax return, and as long as they know it is up to them to declare what they are getting from you.