Endless And Longer Safety Data Sheets

David Bytham

Cleantalk Member
I am struggling to keep up with all the safety data sheets for my 3 vans. Having acquired new equipment and new cleaning products as well as learning that many of my old data sheets are out of date, if I were to print them all off for each van, that would be the equivalent of having printed an old fashioned telephone directory for each.
Fortunately, I don't have all the products in each van daily. I was wondering about getting a kindle for each van with them all on and maybe just printing off the main half a dozen. My other idea was to print 4 pages in miniature on each side of an A4 sheet and include a magnifying glass.
Surely there must be an acceptable way of avoiding printing out what would be over 60 data sheets for each van if everything were included to cover all eventualities. It also puts me off wanting to try anything new.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi David. Great topic.

My view and approach is this.

An incident occurs and the safety data sheet is required by the emergency services. It is easier to find a folder in your van and open it up at the correct page than it is to find the Kindle, hope that the battery is charged, press a button and wait for it to boot up (presuming the person is familiar with a Kindle and knows which button to press, as I don't) and then scroll through the folders and files to find what he wants. A Kindle is also more attractive to a thief.

I always carried printed copies of my Safety Data and COSHH sheets in a folder, clearly defined on front and edge. I also kept identical copies in my filing cabinet in the office. Documentation for all products, whether loaded onto the van that day or not, were included in the folder.

Whether the law allows you to have digital copies in the van, I don't know but to me, it wouldn't make sense.

When I was using detergents, the number of documents carried were very high, but once I was detergent-free, the number reduced significantly. If you have products you no longer use, dispose of them along with the paperwork.

Compliance can be problematic.

Non-compliance can be devastating.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

Mark Roberts.

Cleantalker Veteran
I have them printed off in a ring binder and stored on the phone in pdfs.

No idea if digital is allowed but if you crash the van and it goes up in smoke a ring binder stuck in there won't help anyone.

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 user

David Bytham

Cleantalk Member
You make some good points, but as Mark has indicated, paper isn't foolproof either. An previously I have had things spilled on some of my sheets rendering them useless. I would have thought in the digital age there could be a sensible paperless solution. Just thinking out of the box, they could be put in a cyber cloud file, with details in the van about how to access it from anyone's smart phone or pad, but I suppose it would be some time before that became acceptable. I suppose I have no choice at present but to have them all printed

Mark Roberts.

Cleantalker Veteran
http://www.hse.gov.uk/reach/resources/reachsds.pdf

Digital is fine it seems. I cant see any regulations that require us to carry them but...

The regulations for us on use come under COSHH practices, making a risk assessment, correct clear labelling, storage and knowing exactly what you are using and the chemicals/dangers present. In the event of exposure you should know what the msds says so access to them is a good idea.

If you're using raw chemicals or anything without a msds you're screwed basically if something goes wrong and you cant produce a msds or risk assessment for it.
No doubt you'd not be insured as well, good luck with that :screwed:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/reach/resources/users.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/basics/datasheets.htm

• Agreed

David Bytham

Cleantalk Member
Hi Mark,
You are right, it is frustrating, but the time is not yet right for doing away with the paper versions, unfortunately.

I guess you could still have an online backup ie: in a separate part of the business website, just in case one happens to have gone astray or overlooked, or is not in the usual van for example, or if they have perished in an accident. A laminated sticker could inform as to how to find them on the site, should you not be able to put them online yourself.

I am not into apps, but if there were one where the police or anyone could just key in your registration and view all the relevant datasheets that you have stored on there for that van, wouldn't it save a rainforest and a good few printer cartidges!

Lon Riece

New Cleantalker
We shrink them down as much as possible to use the least amount of paper as possible. Also have them saved digitally to access them on our phone. It is a waste until the random time you need them

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Lon,

:welcome:
Your profile say that you are from "MT". I have no idea where that is but suspect it may be overseas.

In the UK the SDS is prepared to a legal requirement and any "shrinking" may render them not fit for purpose.

David Bytham

Cleantalk Member
Well, I have since got them on 2 sided A4 sheets and attached to the kit they belong to so that they always go with the particular kit concerned whichever van that may be. Also, to be located online via a dropbox file, intending to include them in the website in due course.