Fed up!

Jannine Valentine

New Cleantalker
I can't be the only domestic cleaner who doesn't drive, surely? My customers supply their own things (I bring along bits & pieces if needed though). I live in a city. So it's not really been an issue. However, someone booked me in today last minute yesterday. I had nothing on today, so booked them in. I thought it was just a short bus ride and a 15-20 min walk down the road. No problem. No.... it's some semi- rural area, no footpath, cars driving right next to me, couldn't see them coming or behind me because of corners. Not safe at all. My fault I guess for not knowing this. I've offered to re-schedule if I can find a better route, but they're not happy. I can see why. They're also saying they booked childcare for today because I was coming- I don't see why though?? I've offered to ring around for an alternative cleaner. Feeling kinda crappy. I have been looking for drivers who can work with me, but have found nothing yet.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Life can be tough sometimes Jannine.

A tip for research for you. Streetmaps, accessed through googlemaps. Living and trading in a semi-rural area I used this to check for any access issues and, especially for homes with just a name and no house number, how far along a lane and even which direction to approach from. In your case here, it would certainly have helped.

Jannine Valentine

New Cleantalker
Thanks for the reply.
I accept this is my fault. I can't do anything now regarding the customer. So will take this as a learning curve- ALWAYS check out their address before even confirming! With this person's address, I used to occassionally work in the local town centre at my last job, but didn't even realise it had places with no footpath, etc. Doh!

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Going off at a tangent, not being a driver put's you at a serious disadvantage as a business woman, so here's a suggestion which may prove useful in the future.

I would be inclined not to advertise this aspect but, in one-to-one conversation and as an "excuse" for using public transport, let the customer/prospect know that this is part of your environmentally considerate approach to life and business. If you are able to back this up with "green products" which you carry in a rucksack, it will help you to have a USP. Regardless of this, I would also suggest that you consider taking your own cloths with you in your bag and launder them back at home (do NOT use fabric conditioner)

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
Sometimes you want to, need a find a way and create a story on the way. Seriously though don't take on jobs when your slow that you wouldn't take on when you're busy. As you don't drive target your market very locally. Also get driving lessons and a licence scheduled in your action plan. That will extend your opportunities enormously.

window cleaning bike cart.jpg

Dave Atkins

Cleantalk Member
Hi jannine just chalk it up to experience and move on. Customer may not be happy but that’s their problem not yours. You just can’t keep everyone happy but don’t worry about it.
Oh and while I’m on the subject how dare they tell you about their childcare plans, what on earth has it got to do with you they may as well have told you they’ve planned to have the car serviced. Absolute nonsense.

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Jannine just a thought but are you covered for use of clients own equipment in case or mishaps , because you can sure bet that if vacuum cleaner breaks its going to be your fault if it was or not IE it was working before you used it

Or a fault on it and it gives you a belt ( electric shock )

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
After many years of repairing machines as well as cleaning I have been advised to cease as I do not have any insurance cover.
What happens if someone gets injured or worse with a machine I have tinkered with and it goes wrong ?
A sad day.