Fire Proofing Over Spill Removal

Simon christian

Cleantalk Member
Hi can anyone please recommend the best material to remove an over spill of fire proofing from grey powder coated steel gurders without causing the paint to come off? Thank you in advance

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Powder coating is quite a resistant treatment and most fire resistant treatments can be removed by a cationic surfactant, so I imagine that solution Nitro should fit the bill.

Whatever you use follow best practice an try on a small test area first as we do not know the exact chemistry of the materials involved.

Simon christian

Cleantalk Member
Thanks for your reply, will nitro take paint work off.
It's a new build and the guys who did the fire proofing have over sprayed onto the cladding other paint work, just need to make sure this will not take the paint off.
Thanks again for your help

Garry Neilson

Cleantalk Member
I have not had any issues with nitro on either oil or water based wood paints, but I would use indirect application by spraying/dunking the cloth to be sure, emulsion is a different story as it's a new build it probably cheap crappy trade paint and a very thin layer of it that comes off with water. You could try a very delicate rub with a melamine sponge first such as the XR pads or magic sponge type but if it's gone through to the plaster board then a stain stop and repaint may be required.