First Awkward Customer

John Allton

Cleantalk Member
Had my first awkward customer yesterday the beauty of self employment is having the ability to pick and choose when & who you work with. I was initially happy to give up my day off to clean 2 single ovens at short notice for a landlord in the same building under the guise he has a number of other properties. When asked about parking he said just park on the yellow lines as all the workers do it and have had no problems. Told him no i'll park in the public car approx 100m away and add the parking fee to the bill. I arrived early he arrived late didnt have time to discuss the other properties other than they will be end of tenancy i wont hold my breath. When i reminded him of payment he ask for invoice and would make payment that day whilst doing his buisness returns still had not paid by 6pm that last night nor acknowledge receipt of the invoices or text letting know i had completed the cleans etc. Messaged again this morning as a reminder to recieve a a contrite message back asking me what the panic was? no panic mate just i take people to their word the payment was to be made yesterday and it wasn't? made me wait all day before transfering the money this evening. Guess what i wont be doing him again he can keep his business.

Andrew Evans

Cleantalk Member
As Nathan said, someone on here advised me, when I had that, the best thing to say is pay full price this time and I will discount further jobs.

Funny how they say no panic but if you turned up 6 hours late I bet he would panic.

Block and move on is my advise, but get your money first.

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
As I've only been going since April, reviews are everything to me, and I'll normally let them know I'm going to text them a link to leave a Google review(I don't push it, or ask for it). What does grind my gears though is the customers without any prompting from me promise to leave facebook/Google reviews and you hear absolutely nothing back. I'm absolutely fine if someone can't be arsed or doesn't want to leave a review but if you say you are going to then you should.

John Allton

Cleantalk Member
Once booked in i send confirmation via text, WhatsApp or email depending on which they have confirming the Name, Date/Time Slot/Post Code Type of Clean which states Standard Single or Standard Double and price with prefered payment method usually Cash/Bank Transfer or Card. Bank Transfer are done before i leave the property. The idea of the Confirmation is to prevent goal posts moving when a Single oven becomes a single oven range on arrival & the customer attempt to hold you to the price qouted? i point out on their confirmation and my copy the words Standard Single or Standard Double etc. On this occassion the customer was one of those that have that much money they forget others may need that money today not tomorrow or when they see fit suppose it makes them feel powerful if they with hold your payment

Daniel Burt

Cleantalk Member
Money off on the promise of more work... I usually just tell them I'll do a good job and if they want to use me again that's fine, there's no discount unless the jobs are on the same day close to each other.

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
I gave a few cheeky discounts when I first started, but sods law the jobs were either a pain in :censored: or the customer was. I just don't discount at all now, and it makes things much easier.

Andrew Evans

Cleantalk Member
I don't have a problem giving a discount, but only if I have charged enough.

I prefer to offer something free rather than money off.

But that is carpets and upholstery, I wouldnt on ovens if I did them.

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
The only time I gave a discount was in certain types of spicy restaurants in the Black Country.
Then I would add 30% to my estimate and have fun to see if I could get away with less than 30% off at the bargaining stage- usually after the job was done. 20% and I was happy.

John Allton

Cleantalk Member
Only give invoices when specificaly asked for i do offer discounts to pensioners, veterans and emergency services. I am in my first year which is a year like no other as i am trying to build a steady client list and work out where the peak & troughs are in the year. August was quiet until i dropped my prices by £5 per clean just for August. Then everybody came out of the woodwork possible had my busiest month also i have noticed the differance in the oven cleans. But it brought the work in be flexible, be adaptable be imaginative.

Daniel Nailor

Cleantalk Member
Only give invoices when specificaly asked for i do offer discounts to pensioners, veterans and emergency services. I am in my first year which is a year like no other as i am trying to build a steady client list and work out where the peak & troughs are in the year. August was quiet until i dropped my prices by £5 per clean just for August. Then everybody came out of the woodwork possible had my busiest month also i have noticed the differance in the oven cleans. But it brought the work in be flexible, be adaptable be imaginative.
I always take time off in August as it’s usually the quietest month.
Taking time off also builds up work for the weeks ahead.

Mark Bolam

Cleantalk Member
yep give a quote for two ovens in same property then they said they would leave it then came back to me oh they got this cleaning paste for 10 quid from lakeland that could do 3 ovens i told them to crack on

Chris Birkett

Cleantalk Member
Not oven, but I had a customer call the other day.
"How much for a living room and hall stairs and landing?"
Estimate given.
Went to do the clean...living room was laminate.
"Where's the other carpet?"

"Oh, at my daughter's in Carmarthen. You're going there next."

1 hour from current house. Nope. Ta. "£70 for h/s/l now, and I'll have to book her in later."

"That's far too much!”

Ok no problem. If you'd like to book again just let me know 👋