First wood sanding job

Florin Titiriga

Cleantalk Regular
This was my first wood floor sanding job which I did for a elderly customer of mine. Small parquet floor which I thought will take me 3-4 hours max but as you know the first jobs always takes double/triple the time. There is lots of room for improvement but for my 1st job Im well happy and customer also.

I badly messed up when it came to filling the floor with filler & Saw dust. I made the filler too thick and it dried parches in areas and I thought i will get away with the 100/120 mesh but to my surprise I did not and I had to......you guessed it! .......Start all over again !! Im delighted that I messed up in this small job and not a big one.

This
job was done free for the customer who was going to have the room painted so I didnt have to worry so much about the skirting board.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Florin Titiriga

Cleantalk Regular
To get to bare wood took me 22 minutes for the room.

Then it took me 1 hour to do the edges. If anyone knows of a quick way to do edges let me know. The dexter sand really close to the edges but it still took me a long time.

Then I went through the gritts, 24 zirconia pads 40, 60, 80, 80 silicone carbide, 100 mesh 120 and when i used the base filler to fill the gaps with saw dust I messed it up as I mixed it to thick and it dried up really quick.

This whole process took me from 9am till 2pm ( Would of finished by 3) but because of the mistake And having to restart all over I finished at 6pm.

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
Probably the best edger Florin is the Lagler Flip. It's light and makes the job less laborious.
Don't think of using anything other than a proper tool specifically designed for that job.

We do most floors using 40,80.120 abrasives with 40 and 80 for the edges on the Flip. Old pine boards or stuff with deep damage will need a bit more aggression though. You should be able to do most floors in three steps.

What finish did you apply Florin?

Florin Titiriga

Cleantalk Regular
Thanks for the advice regarding the edge sander. I assume you use a belt sander ?

I applied a walnut stain 1 coat of Primer then used the 120 mesh and then applied junkers strong.

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
Would use a belt sander for the initial cut and then a planetary .

Full credit to you Florin for taking on a job sanding, filling, staining & finishing as your first job!

As you are familiar with Junckers products it's worth knowing that their Base Prime is solvent and dries in about 20 minutes, It doesn't pop the grain like water based sealers so you can get a top coat of finish on without having to deal with any grain raise within about half an hour.

• Thanks
Reactions: 1 user