LTT Leather

Genuine Suede!

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
If you havnt a clue about cleaning them, and cannot identify the fabric it is not for you, and maybe you should seek some training into being asssured of what materials you can.
IF IT IS SUEDE, GOOD LUCK, just check your insurance first all.

Remus R Lungu

Cleantalk Member
I'll say 2 things
1: If indeed they paid 15 grand for that it would not be looking like that as they would have had it cleaned regularly
2:At this point it would need multiple visits to correct the situation and I for one would not touch it just because I have a lot more jobs that pay well without the potential risk of a claim
best of luck

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
The first thing is to confirm that they are genuine suede (the signs do point to them being Suede or Nubuck)

There have been some great advances in cleaning Suede/Nubuck recently and we have new wet cleaning products and Suede Revivers that work really well.

However I would urge you to get some training before leaping in here as it could be costly without it!

Cheers
Judyb

Waleed Alhagin

Cleantalk Member
I've been trained by solutions, and it's not everyday you come across these things hence why I've asked for advice, Im sure people in the industry for 30 years don't come across these sofas everyday.
I have a plan in my head of how I would clean it but I don't think seeking more advice would be a bad choice, correct me if I'm wrong.
@Alby Gill The reason I ask on other forums and I take on board all advice by everyone because some people give better advice than others...

Alby Gill

Cleantalk Member
Once you've taken on board everybody's advice, How do you know who's given the best advice?.
You are asking for advice based solely on pictures supplied by the customer, Pictures never tell the full story.
A picture is supposed to paint a thousand words, I can only see 3 words, Potential Insurance Claim.

You need to physically inspect these couches to determine if they are indeed Suede or Nubuck and you can only do that correctly if you have had Leather training. If you have not had any training and you undertake the job, and something goes wrong, your insurance may not pay out. you could end up owning this suite. It would be wise to double check with your insurance first to be on the safe side.
You have been given advice above by the leading trainer in the country Judy Bass.I would take it.
I wish you luck.

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
Hi Waleed,
So really the first thing is to find out what it is. Suede is a finish, not a leather type. Nubuck is a hide that has been through an aniline dye process.

Whereas suede is the flesh side of the hide, or could even be both sides of a split.

So, one is definitely treated/finished with something, whilst the other, may or may not be.

In short, test to find out what is first, then look at methods or cleaning.

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
Suede and Nubuck are usually classed as types of leather rather than a type of finish.
Suede and Nubuck are both Aniline dyed leathers as this is where they get their colour from.
Suede is the reverse side of any leather (including Nubuck) or as you rightly say either side of a split.
Nubuck is not generally treated with anything unless it has been hydrophobated which is often the case.
Nubuck is a Full Grain leather that has been buffed.

Hope this helps
Judyb

K.O. (Shorty) Glanville

Cleantalk Member
Judy, I don't know about the U.K. or other areas over there, but down under, I find the following usually applies.

Suede is generally used in the clothing / handbag industry.

Nubuck is generally used for furniture.

We also class both Nubuck & Suede as a type of leather, not a finish.

Kind regards, & thank you for the nice words & big hug elsewhere. :wink:

PS:: I have found a couple of "refugees" in my favourite restaurant, so Delia & I shared our table with them.
But I forgot their names. :confused:
Maybe someone can help me out??
:2beer::wheelchair::goodday:
Ken Wainwright Lee Lake.jpg

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
It's all interesting stuff.
However, I'm not convinced that Suede & Nubuck are classed as types of leather rather than a type of finish. Suede is made by running the flesh side over an abrasion wheel bringing a nap up. Nubuck being the grain side being sanded.
In any event, Nubuck would be aniline dyed 100% of the time, whereas, Suede does not have to be.
Leather is leather, after it's been finished in some way it becomes a 'finished' leather.
All I'm saying is, find out what the finish is, before thinking about how to clean it.

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
Suede and Nubuck are definitely types of leather rather than a finish as this usually applies to something that has been applied to the surface of the leather.
Suede needs to get its colour from somewhere and this would be from dyes during the tanning process
The term ‘finished’ leather is generally applied to a leather that has had a finish applied which is not the case with Nubuck or Suede which is why these are categorised as a type of leather in their own right.

Thanks Shorty I agree Suede is not generally used as upholstery and is predominantly found in the footwear, jacket and accessories industries whereas Nubuck can be found in all industries

Glad you got the hug - small world isn’t it!!

Cheers
Judyb

K.O. (Shorty) Glanville

Cleantalk Member
Thanks for the advice Ian.

We DID have our suspicions, so we told them we were going to the 'lav;

As we walked passed the cashier, we laughed with her & softly commented that THEY were paying the bill.

Got to the car where Teddy was & made a phone call, told Ken that we had to get back to the car to make a booking on the iPad.

I think he was impressed. (NOT). :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

My "Bowlacinno" that Ken & Lee were VERY envious of, ('cept that Ken had his English Breakfast Tea) Shorty's Bowlacinno.JPG .

:2beer::wheelchair::goodday:

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
Thats why he's lithe and athletic Shorty, plenty of practise 'doing a Runner!':joker:
On another note, I'll have the Barramundi on the menu..yum.