Gutter cleaning ?

Gary Irwin

Cleantalk Member
Hi thinking of adding gutter cleaning to my business ? What am I looking at in basic set up costs ???

Dan Paton

Cleantalk Member
Anything from £200 with a ladder and pro gutter tools to thousands with a top of the range vac.
Bare in mind to offer a full and complete gutter clearing service a ladder is a necessity even if you use a vac. No matter how good your vac is there's always going to be jobs with deeply blocked downpipes or maybe gutter guards or hedgehog brushes to be removed that require a ladder.
I own 2 gutter vacs and to be honest its just as quick most of the time with a ladder and a 5m harris pole with pro gutter tools.
A lot go for skyvac but personally i think their way overpriced.
This guy was on the stand next to me at the expo show and he was selling good reasonably priced equipment.

Jody Bull

Cleantalk Member
Hi Gary,

What are your other services?

I only ask as I would guess gutter clearance and cleaning would need to complement them.

There's good money in it if you can get the customers.

John Dane

Cleantalk Member
I use a gutter vac but a lot of the time by the time you have set up you can have had a side done from the ladder.....I also use ladder to check I've got it all out didn't like the camera.

Elfyn Rees

Cleantalk Member
I use a gutter vac but a lot of the time by the time you have set up you can have had a side done from the ladder.....I also use ladder to check I've got it all out didn't like the camera.
I wouldn't repeat that statement to your insurance company or HSE

John Dane

Cleantalk Member
Ladders are fine if used correctly......I didn't say I actually do them from the ladder....find when it's damp a residue of mud tends to stick to the bottom so I'll vac them...check from the ladder they are clear then brush any residue into piles and vac them.....also sometimes the roof liner lies too far over the gutter and muck gets trapped......I price these jobs well so I don't need to rush and can do a good job safely.....also I don't take on jobs where I can't use a ladder safely with the stand off.

Dan Paton

Cleantalk Member
David a gutter vac is a very worthwhile investment. You really only need a ladder occasionally. During winter i only use mine where absolutely necessary.
The upshot is that you will still need a ladder but your vac can be used virtually all of the time and its safer.

Nicky Hughes

Cleantalk Member
I paid £1200 for my gutter vac 3 years ago worth every penny paid for itself very quick,bought a camera second hand like new for £80.
you can finance it with a called Oxford finance?