Help with this commercial hard floor

Den Watts

Cleantalk Member
Hi guys and girls

Hope you’re all well. I have been asked to price a large commercial job for a hard floor clean/treatment. They say the floor used to be sparkling and looked polished but they hired a friend of the manger to clean the floor some time ago and they say it hasn’t looked right since and now generally looks quite tired and battered. (I did point out general wear and tear over time)

what would be the best solution to restore it to its former glory (as best as can be without stripping it and building back up). What would you recommend in terms of pads and solutions?

also on a side note, how long would you think 120sqm will take time wise?

Thanks for your help in advance all!

Attachments

Jon Chrimes

Cleantalk Member
Solution's sell Excalibur stripper and a super Excalibur gloss shield. Should be simple job. What kit to you have available?

Jacob Ward

Cleantalker Veteran
To add to Jon....

Done exactly the same

On the same floor

In a gym

3 coats needed

The important thing is to make sure they use the correct cleaning chemicals as well.

Part of the excalibur range is a maintainer.

Quote for 1 or 2 visits a year to top up the seal to maintain the new look

J

Den Watts

Cleantalk Member
To add to Jon....

Done exactly the same

On the same floor

In a gym

3 coats needed

The important thing is to make sure they use the correct cleaning chemicals as well.

Part of the excalibur range is a maintainer.

Quote for 1 or 2 visits a year to top up the seal to maintain the new look

J
thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I’ve been meaning to changing my chems to Solution for a while now, clearly the time is now to switch. Out of interest, what would you charge per SQM? I’m working off £3.00 sqm

Jacob Ward

Cleantalker Veteran
What time can the work be done ?

You will need to strip, dry and apply 3 coats and leave for a while before heavy foot traffic

You'd strip with a red pad on a rotary after spraying the stripper down and leaving a 20 ish min dwell first

Then hopefully rinse of with a hard floor wand.

And apply the sealer with a lambs wool window cleaning bar.

I would personally price the job as a whole, not per meter...

The cost is what you are happy with for the time and what sort of time the job is, and what they would want to pay.

J

Garry Braithwaite

Cleantalk Member
Its marmoleum be careful with what you intend to strip it with.
Looks like somebody has already messed up big time on it if you have limited experience on resilient flooring you might be better passing this on to someone with more experience.

Den Watts

Cleantalk Member
Its marmoleum be careful with what you intend to strip it with.
Looks like somebody has already messed up big time on it if you have limited experience on resilient flooring you might be better passing this on to someone with more experience.
Hi Gary,

cheers for your reply. Excuse my ignorance, but what’s the difference to generic lino? I thought marmoleum was a brand name of a type of linoleum. I did point out that the last person they hired had messed it up.. they’re reply was “the previous manager wanted it done cheap”.

Den Watts

Cleantalk Member
What time can the work be done ?

You will need to strip, dry and apply 3 coats and leave for a while before heavy foot traffic

You'd strip with a red pad on a rotary after spraying the stripper down and leaving a 20 ish min dwell first

Then hopefully rinse of with a hard floor wand.

And apply the sealer with a lambs wool window cleaning bar.

I would personally price the job as a whole, not per meter...

The cost is what you are happy with for the time and what sort of time the job is, and what they would want to pay.

J
Mate, really appreciate your reply. Massive help thank you

Garry Braithwaite

Cleantalk Member
Marmoleum is Forbos trade name for linoleum when you say generic lino I'm assuming you mean a vinyl floorcovering, difference between vinyl and Linoleum in short terms is vinyl is a plastic linoleum is made from natural materials.
You can use a high alkaline stripper to treat a vinyl but you cant use high alkaline on linoleum.

Forbos marmoleum got its name from marbalised Linoleum

Jon Chrimes

Cleantalk Member
Dont worry about Marmoleum, I can pm you pic of one done with Excalibur. Just be aware their guarantee might be invalidated if it's a new floor.

Eamonn OConnor

Cleantalk Member
@Den Watts For what its worth I have looked at the photos you posted. Can you confirm if the artwork on the floor was part of the original floor design or, as it looks, was it painted on afterwards?. If the latter then you will need to consider what work you do on it, pads etc, to ensure that in trying to create a good finish you do not remove the artwork.

Den Watts

Cleantalk Member
Dont worry about Marmoleum, I can pm you pic of one done with Excalibur. Just be aware their guarantee might be invalidated if it's a new floor.
Hi Jon,

That would be great thanks mate. The floor is quite a few years old. I asked for the tech sheet for when it was installed when built new but they have lost the O&M manuals many moons ago

Den Watts

Cleantalk Member
@Den Watts For what its worth I have looked at the photos you posted. Can you confirm if the artwork on the floor was part of the original floor design or, as it looks, was it painted on afterwards?. If the latter then you will need to consider what work you do on it, pads etc, to ensure that in trying to create a good finish you do not remove the artwork.
Hi Eammon,

cheers for your reply mate. The artwork is after the fact vinyl stickers, some of which are coming away so it’s something that I’ll have to be extra considerate with