High Gloss kitchen units

Paul Whitehead

Cleantalk Member
Hi Guys

Can anyone give me some advice re Streak Free cleaning of high gloss units. My wife talked me into fitting a new kitchen last year and its been a bit of a nightmare since. She wanted (and as always):doh: got her own way with the style and colour choice. So now we have a mix of black and cream high gloss doors and worktop and for the life of me, we can't keep the them streak free when cleaning them. The problem is watermarks left behind following cleaning. Does anyone use a product on these type of units that leaves them streak free without having to buff them up with a dry cloth following a wet/detergent cloth clean.

Thanks

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Paul
You may also think about cr valeting products which can be perfect for this.
A 3 in 1 cleaner, polish, protect can make life very east. I think Nick sells one, just check that it's ok to use on vinyl, plastic first.
I use one fo our plastic double glazing, quick wipe & they're done & smear free.

Neil Jones

Cleantalk Member
These fixtures drive me mad, someone who works for me decided to use a spray on them last week. Took me an age to get rid of the streaks. I usually just remove the marks etc as normal then dry buff them, microfibre works well. It is hard work tho

Joe Hatton

Cleantalker Veteran
What about the "new" Karcher window cleaning vac.
Clean the units in your normal way but vac the cleaning fluid off - they claim it to be streak free on windows, showers etc
£50 +p&p on Ideal World shopping channel.
Just a thought

Paul Whitehead

Cleantalk Member
Thanks for the feed back guys
Neil, thats pretty much what we end up doing - using the micro fibre cloth, but its a pain in the backside. First clean the surface and then buff. Given that all the doors, side panels and worktops are high gloss, its a real pain. But not to worry:down: . I do like the sound of the Karcher vac that you mention Joe - i'll have to have a look at that. Cheers.

There's a lot of this type of kitchen unit about these days, and anyone who has it will know what a pain it is to clean. I reckon someone could make a few bob if they were to develop a streak free cleaning solution to make life easier.

Joe Hatton

Cleantalker Veteran
Well here it is Paul. Its £60 not £50 as I said but you do get a second smaller blade and cleaning fluid.
I have seen it elsewhere for £50 without the 2nd blade and fluid.
Yesterday I was doing a carpet clean and I saw one of these in the house. I asked the lady was she happy with it and yes she was.
http://www.idealworld.tv/_248035.aspx

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Just a thought
Can't remember where I saw it but you can get trigger sprayers for about £25 that have an ionic pure water type element in it so when you squeeze the trigger it's positivly charged, therefore making the cleaning easier & streak free?

Paul Whitehead

Cleantalk Member
Well here it is Paul. Its £60 not £50 as I said but you do get a second smaller blade and cleaning fluid.
I have seen it elsewhere for £50 without the 2nd blade and fluid.
Yesterday I was doing a carpet clean and I saw one of these in the house. I asked the lady was she happy with it and yes she was.
http://www.idealworld.tv/_248035.aspx[/quote]

Hi Joe
Thanks for that.
Only problem is, is that the wife says, if I buy it, I'll have to do all the windows in the house on a regular basis to make it pay:shock: Whereas I prefer the natural dappled light you only get by having mucky windows:evilgrin:

Paul Whitehead

Cleantalk Member
Just a thought
Can't remember where I saw it but you can get trigger sprayers for about £25 that have an ionic pure water type element in it so when you squeeze the trigger it's positivly charged, therefore making the cleaning easier & streak free?
Hi Steve
Just googled it. Does 'Activeion' ring any bells? Can't find a price though

Joe Hatton

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Joe
Thanks for that.
Only problem is, is that the wife says, if I buy it, I'll have to do all the windows in the house on a regular basis to make it pay:shock: Whereas I prefer the natural dappled light you only get by having mucky windows:evilgrin:

I'm getting one cause we clean shower after every use - glass and tiles - so it makes that job easier.
Also for the winter months sucking up condensation particularly lower parts of windows, especially bedroom windows. Should reduce the mold in shower and in window area - and those are a pane (pain) to clean..

Jo Galloway

Cleantalk Member
I tend to use white vinegar on shiny kitchen units.... spray on wipe off and buff with microfibre cloth.... never a smear in site :lol: Not only that White Vinegar is eco friendly and bloomin cheap.

Ian Griffiths

Cleantalk Member
A lot of 'dodgy' recommendations here.

Remember we are talking about kitchen worktops and thus the liklihood of food coming into contact that is subsequently eaten is high. Anything used must be therefore safe to be used.

Steam is an option buffed to a shine with a scrimm or a good quality MF. A magic sponge will also clean well, again the buffing is essential.

Finally, a non-toxi glass cleaner will also work, again the streak free finish will come from the buffing linked to some good old fashioned elbow grease.

Joe, save your money. A cheap steamer, a cotton towel and a scrimm will do a much better job on your shower screens. Also watch out using steam on a cold window.

Joe Hatton

Cleantalker Veteran
Joe, save your money. A cheap steamer, a cotton towel and a scrimm will do a much better job on your shower screens. Also watch out using steam on a cold window.
Too late Ian.
I already got it and it does a fantastic job. Re shower glass - I am talking about cleaning the glass and tiles straight after showering, not a general clean sometime when I feel like it (or not)
And now the Karcher Window Vac is even better value for money on Ideal World tv shopping channel as they now bundling 8 microfibre cloths and 4 sachet of cleaning fluid (which makes 4 litres) for the same £60

If I got a steam cleaner (actually have a Polti) I would have to plug it in (eleccy cable long enough to get to bathroom), wait for it to get up to heat, before I can use it AND be careful using steam on a cold window.
No such concerns/problems with the Karcher - its rechargeable battery so always ready for immediate use, and as it just sucks no need to worry about cold windows cracking with the heat. We dont have soggy cotton towels to wash and (tumble) dry either.

We do consider it £60 well spent.

Matthew Martin

Cleantalk Member
Just clean with you normal cleaner... Then buff with a microfiber cloth dry perfect result every time. Cheap and simple. I did buy a karcher window vac and it is ok for cleaning windows and shower screens if they are just wet if they are dirty they just move the grime around...Keep it simple folks