Leather Chemistry

Discussion in 'Leather Cleaning & Restoration' started by John fraser, Apr 11, 2018.

1. John fraser

John fraser Member

Advertisements:
    Hi guys with my leather work becoming the majority of my work and better class clients. I would like to learn about the chemistry side of it about pigments, dyes and finishes of what's in them and how they actually work ect. I've been on 2 training courses one was with Judy herself another was with another company. I will go on more as every trainer has there own way and I believe you can learn something from everyone. I want to really outclass and out knowledge my competition but there is no training on this. My question is., does anyone know of training or links to articles about this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trevor Ives

Trevor Ives Bathams Moderator Moderator

Ask Nick about the actual "chemistry" in his products.
    He will tell you and then prevent you ever telling anyone else.:rolleyes:

3. Mark Sutcliffe

Mark Sutcliffe Member

I'd agree with you that every trainer has their own way, I'm hopefully going on one of the LTT courses soon, funds allowing, as I feel it will be more intense than what I have done so far. I'd love to move away from Sofa's but that requires more knowledge and it's all I seem to be able to attract is sofa customers (not that i'm complaining, money is money).

4. Daniel Darlow

Daniel Darlow Member

How do you advertise your leather work Mark?

5. John fraser

John fraser Member

Mark if you want to gain knowledge and learn about the leather from start to finish Judy's course is a must. I've gained alot of knowledge and ready to move on to the chemistry side of things and trying to understand what I'm actually putting on and what makes it come off as no one seems to teach this side of it

6. John Bolton

John Bolton Admin

John,

The precise chemistry of cleaning products is something that manufacturers are unlikely to share because product development comes at a cost and they naturally do not wish to share the results with competitors.

• Agreed Agreed x 1
  7. Daniel Darlow

Daniel Darlow Member

Pigment, Thinners, Removers, Finishes.
    That's all it really is, unless you infiltrate any Manufacturers recipes I will think you will draw a blank on the complete make up. The magic side of it I believe is the correct application, i.e. airbrushing which I think is a complete art on it's own, once you have the airbrush under control then the skill of your finished work is unparalleled. Whatever the chemical compilation of pigment or final finish I think is not to your customers interest. I do know where you are coming from though as the supply of stock items are limited, I do use LTT as a supplier, I do know there are others, and the U.S. are big in leather hobbyists etc. Tandy Leather is a good source of hobbyist leather goods, Angelous also. But unlike Carpet Upholstery cleaning the medium is limited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agreed Agreed x 1
  8. John fraser

John fraser Member

Not what's in the cleaners as such John. I know suppliers won't share theirs as it impacts there sales. I have my own cleaner that I have made up myself:wink:. I mean what is the cause of some cleaners taking of the top coat and why.

9. John Bolton

John Bolton Admin

John,

The simple answer to that is the inclusion of inappropriate solvents either in the product used or applied before-hand (eg. Mrs Housewife regularly using baby wipes). That said, prolonged body contact soiling and the resultant bacterial action can soften some finishes, making them more vulnerable to damage during cleaning.

10. Mark Sutcliffe

Mark Sutcliffe Member

My advertisement has been predominantly through my website and through the van being re-signwritten, i have enoughj work atm but don't enjoy sofas, too many issues..

Picked up a chair today which I did 2 months back, and it's gone back how it was.. (Leather rubbing off), it's something the guys using in his hair but despite me telling him this, it's wrecked the sofa again.. i'll have to redo it and then tell him again why it's happening...

11. Judy Bass

Judy Bass Moderator

Agree John all of which we cover on our course. The more you do leather the more you get a deeper understanding of why things happen and what causes them. Thinking things through is always vital and Leather ID crucial.

Mark did you degrease prior to the work?
    One of the issues with customers is that if they don't change their habits after work has been done the same thing will always happen again.....a chance to give great care advice and upsell care products.

Cheers
    Judyb

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice