LTT Leather

Leather identification

Iliuta andrei

New Cleantalker
hello!
I have recently bought this bag and have noticed that the leather is different from other kinds of leather I have encountered.
It is water sensitive and has a distinct sheen to it, can be seen in the pictures. The pores are very visible.
It is pliable and kinda soft, but definitely not drapey-soft.
Also, in the places where it scuffs, color just fades to a greenish-brown hue
What type of leather is it? I cant recognise the pore-patterns. it looks semi-aniline maybe?
Will it age nicely?
And finally, how can i protect it/clean it?
Thank you!

Attachments

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
Looks like an embossed, chrome tanned, pigmented leather to me. Whether it is a pukka job, I cannot tell, but there is a person on here who will advise I am sure. Full inspection is the key.

Iliuta andrei

New Cleantalker
Looks like an embossed, chrome tanned, pigmented leather to me. Whether it is a pukka job, I cannot tell, but there is a person on here who will advise I am sure. Full inspection is the key.
That was a fast reply!
i can provide any information needed, including pics.
here you can see the sheen a bit better 26608

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
The 'sheen' will normally be a 'finish' applied over the pigmented leather, like varnish on wood.
As this is an expensive brand, and originals respect a high price (personally I do not know why so much, but there you go) You know how much you paid for it and I hope it gives you value. I would seek out a local leather restoration who will supply you with the correct cleaners and protection treatments for this type. Or contact Bulgari direct and I am sure they will advise you of further cleaning and care information.

Iliuta andrei

New Cleantalker
The 'sheen' will normally be a 'finish' applied over the pigmented leather, like varnish on wood.
As this is an expensive brand, and originals respect a high price (personally I do not know why so much, but there you go) You know how much you paid for it and I hope it gives you value. I would seek out a local leather restoration who will supply you with the correct cleaners and protection treatments for this type. Or contact Bulgari direct and I am sure they will advise you of further cleaning and care information.
i thought it could be from the leather being conditioned/waxed as well

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
We obviously do not know how much you paid but looking online it appears they sell for a lot of money. I do not know the current value but I would be inclined to get a qualified leather restorer to look at it.
There are several who get on here and would be pleased to give an estimate for restoration.

Iliuta andrei

New Cleantalker
I'm a bit confused by all the stamped printing.

I've not seen that on any Bulgari bag that I've cleaned/restored.

Name was kept to a minimum.

Here's one that I did recently, AU$54,000.00 so I was told.

:2beer: :wheelchair: :goodday:
Looks gorgeous!
the bag has this stamping because it’s from a special edition called “Collezione 1910”, when bvlgari celebrated for turning 125 years. The stamping is one of their originals posters from the 1900s.
Can you say anything about it judging the leather?

Iliuta andrei

New Cleantalker
Hi
This looks like a pig skin from the hair follicle pattern and would be a Micropigment which a lot of handbags are.
On Micropigments you would be able to see the hair follicles.
Happy to help with products for care and/or restoration
Cheers
Judyb
Thank you so much for your input! You are the first person to actually analyse the hair follicle patterns.
i’ve contacted Bvlgari and they said it’s made from water buffalo leather. They didn’t give me more info (like the tanning process) though, so i’ll go with your opinion that it’s micropigmented.
What products do you recommend for care?

Joe Hatton

Cleantalker Veteran
Thank you so much for your input! You are the first person to actually analyse the hair follicle patterns.
Judy is not just a “person”, she is a very good leather technician and also an excellent trainer in leather identification, care and repair.
If you seriously into leather you do well to go on one of Judys training courses.

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
Thank you
It is always difficult to fully identify from photos without actually seeing the leather through a microscope so it was just best guess!

Definitely micropigment though as you can see the hair follicles which means that it has some coating on the surface.

If you are just looking for care products we do a full range through The Handbag Spa.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Judyb