LTT Leather

Leather Sofas

David Nicholls

Cleantalk Member
Ken,

its a friends sofa which they are throwing out and I thought it would be a great chance to get some experience cleaning it with different methods but thanks anyway

Josh Taylor

Cleantalk Member
David 👋 I have spoken to you today on Facebook, didn't know you were on here! I could show you how to clean it, or at least make sure it's suitable. Leather is something I have cleaned but not something I am an expert in like others on here.

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
So there you are scrubbing away at 'that dirty mark' or that dirty piping only to find the dirty mark gets bigger..............its not dirt, its where the pigment has worn away and you have just increased the problem 10 fold. You would now in normall circumstances apply a matched pigment and a finish. This is just a teensy weensy problem that will occur. You may be trying something new, but as Mark says, you will not be learning anything to make things better .

Lewis Newby

Cleantalk Member
So there you are scrubbing away at 'that dirty mark' or that dirty piping only to find the dirty mark gets bigger..............its not dirt, its where the pigment has worn away and you have just increased the problem 10 fold. You would now in normall circumstances apply a matched pigment and a finish. This is just a teensy weensy problem that will occur. You may be trying something new, but as Mark says, you will not be learning anything to make things better .
Hi Daniel , how are you keeping mate? I recommended you to a lady last week she said she had been in touch but you were no longer working on leather ? Is that due to covid or in general? I though maybe she was one of those customers 😂😂 anyway hope you are well 👍

Mark Sutcliffe

Cleantalk Member
Fantastic example that I don't mind sharing...

Worked on an aniline sofa today, 5 months old. The dogs wee'd on a throw and slept on it.

I've managed to get rid of the stain however where the dogs lay, it's removed all texture and flattened the leather.. there is now a clear ridge where the leather pattern changes which us now more obvious because its cleaned.. what do you do??

Problem is here, us that they put it on Facebook and the first reply was someone using pchem leather cleaner which I'm sure is fine, but not what you want to use on aniline.

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
Hi Lewis Newby!
As of last March, just before lockdown I sold all my CC equipment, last Oct sold my van.
Plan was and is not to be going out anymore and just working from home/garage/workshop, on smaller leather items.
I have taken some bigger jobs on if people can get stuff to me, but mostly now repairs.
Thanks for the potential referral!

Vinny Terry

Cleantalk Member
I had a customer contact me the other day about cleaning a leather sofa ,I told her I am not trained in this area and referred the job to someone who is , if you want to learn a lesson go ahead and clean it ,but if you want to learn a greater lesson and learn how to do all diffrent types get the training , the greatest investment you can make to your business is investing in yourself first 😁

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
Hi David
From the photos this looks as though it could be a two tone which is the first thing you need to identify.
Using different methods and products will not gain you any sort of knowledge if you do not have a basic understanding of leather and the different types even if it is a friends rather than a customers.
As has been said a great deal of damage can be done without understanding why.

Our courses can add a lucrative new string to your bow (50% of domestic furniture is leather - and then there are car interiors, super yachts, aircraft, jackets etc) and give you all the knowledge you need.
We are back up and running now but limited spaces so let me know if you are interested.
Cheers
Judyb