Ligne Pure 100% Polyester, Advice Please

Stephen Trollope

Cleantalk Member
Hi looked at this today, no pets ,very clean house , they want this cleaned because it is not as fluffy as when they bought it, website says dry clean only. The last time I cleaned a 100% polyester shaggy rug was with mpower, suction vac first, mpower, carpet brushed n/s e/w upholstery nozzle extraction , then carpet brush again , then left to dry in the sun. It was nice and fluffy when I had finished. This is multi textured and I think the carpet brush will affect the look of this rug. IMG_20180125_150804.jpg IMG_20180125_150733.jpg IMG_20180125_150532.jpg

EDIT: Duplicated images removed. JB

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
A nice soft brush, just as Mark says. Just brush the M Power in and work with or across the pile, not against it. Don't "scrub" to agitate, the M Power will do all of the agitation on it's own.

Look carefully at your enlarged pictures above and you will see that the ends of the yarn are starting to untwist. Bring this to the customers attention as this will not improve, only remain the same for now or even possibly deteriorate a little. This wear will make the appearance a little less sharp than when new. Whether or not it is affecting the hand or feel of the rug, I can't say.

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
I've always found Ligne to be the uneducated designers choice as to be honest I have not come across one of their rugs that stands out as being stunning by design.
If the main concern of your client really is "oh my goodness we've used this rug & now it doesn't look brand new" then I'd do as Ken suggests& ensure they understand "cleaning" & "wear" otherwise they could be very disappointed.
Yes it will look fluffier when cleaned but it rarely lasts, it may also have light damage to the area that's out in the open & not wearing equally, these need to be addressed before taking it on
Cleaned loads of these, similar to how Ken says to clean & funnily enough most who own them seem to have come from London?!

Mark Sutcliffe

Cleantalk Member
We have one, B&Q for £80, 100% polyester..

Dog pee'd on it when he was an excited puppy and my arm was in a sling.. so wife chucked it in the garage..

Cleaned it twice and it's smell free. first time M power, next time A.N.Other designed for dog wee, second one wasn't needed.

but wife won't have it now as it "still smells" apparently, although nobody else can smell it.

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Mark
You can often an an extra "0" on your cost for one of these, posh people luv em cos they think they're "designer" & oh so wonderful & "my chums will be so impressed that we can afford such tat"!! LOL

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
aimages.ligne_roset.com_cache_TIMELINE_t_i_timeline_1960_1_886x544.jpg
Back in the late 60's when I worked as a Saturday boy in a furniture shop in the East End of London we had this upholstery delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow was it different, you bought all different separate units and they were ultra expensive, but funnily enough we did sell quite a few pieces, to the type of people you did not ask questions. It was Ligne Roset, and the design was weird as it was all foam but the covering material was PRACTICAL.
Unlike products produced now. Too much effort is directed to the cosmetic effect and the instant eye gratification in the showroom, easily afforded with costs spread over 4 years 'Interest Free' UNKNOWING THAT THE PRICES ARE LOADED BY 33% TO COVER THE COSTS!
To little is informed of the housekeeping side of all furnishings and carpeting by Manufacturers and Retailers, having blasé labels saying to contact a professional company, almost wiping their hands of responsibility by producing something that is not practical to be sold to a family with kids and pets. That then is the responsibility of the Retailer to advise, but that then is the Customers Right to choose! It is then down to us to provide the Magic Wand, the Miracle Cure, to bring it all back to how it looked when it was first conceived by some 'Designer' who only likes bright shiny things, or soft grey fluffy things.
Instead of something that when you put your bum or feet on it for 5 years after spending your hard earned, it isn't gonna fall apart or look like crape! Still it brings us all a living if we can handle the problem, with Training and Skill and a certain amount of Daring Do and Luck, we can provide a service to provide all these people who like the 'Bright Shiny Things'

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Love it Daniel!!
They call it "retro" now. Got several clients with modular sofas like this, some with Alcantara coverings (plush polyester) & others with a dense basket weave poly cotton mix, all with a tonne of foam & they pay a fortune for it. One client, 4 modular pieces making up a long "L" shape....£14K!!

They saw him coming!! LOL

Stephen Trollope

Cleantalk Member
Thanks for the advice guys, I will let the customer know what to expect, they probably paid loads for it, so want it to look as good as new.