LTT Leather

Milk Smell

Christopher Walters

Cleantalk Member
Hi all,

I have a customer who has an odour with Milk in between the leather seats of his sofa on the fabric itself not the leather.

When the customer opens the seating area to expose the fabric that is where the smell is.

I have Ace and was thinking of using this to treat the area and giving it a good rinse.

Anything else I could do or another product specifically for this issue with leather..?

Customer is close to where I live so I could if needed go back and forth to pre- treat.

Any advise welcome

Thanks

Attachments

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Em Clean can be used on most fabrics but you probably have several products in stock that will do the job.

For example you could clean the fabric in the normal manner using Fabric 8 (formerly known as Fusion 8) or with one of the microsplitters then post-treat with Prozyme, injecting some into the pad to allow the friendly bacteria to deal with any absorbed milk and the bacteria currently souring the absorbed milk.

If you use Ace, do so as a pre-treatment , but rather than just surface-treat, also inject into the pad and work in by repeatedly squeezing to distribute it well.

Avoid contact with the leather with all products.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
The thing about Prozyme is that the bacteria will continue to digest the odour source for as long as there is sufficient food and moisture to sustain them. I have used this and similar products for decades and provided that the treatment is sufficiently applied in an appropriate quantity, the need to re-visit is extremely rare.

On thing I would add is that the customer should be made aware that there is a need for some patience as the results will not be instant and the odour can temporarily worsen as the noxious compounds are broken down. set against this is the fact that the treatment will actively seek out the odour source and will operate in areas which would be difficult to effectively reach by other means.

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
The beauty of Em Clean is that it has been tested on leather and fabric and is safe to use on both so no risk if using on all areas.
It is left on to do it’s job so continues to do it’s work and can be safely left with the customer so if you were not so close you could leave it with them to continue treatment.

Our trade website is www.leathertradeproducts.co.uk
for all you guys rather than the consumer site (being rebuilt at the moment)

Hope this helps
Ask if you have any other questions
Happy to help
Judyb

Christopher Walters

Cleantalk Member
@Judy Bass

Can you confirm can this product be applied and left to dwell or even left overnight..?

I’ve looked on your website and it says apply and wipe off with a cloth.

Any timeframes please that could assist with this strong odour..?

Thanks

Christopher Walters

Cleantalk Member
@Judy Bass

Just thought I’d let you know I tried ordering some products off your website today from the link you provided above and it kicked me out twice but eventually managed to get it done.

Prior to ordering today I contacted your company 3 times this week leaving voicemails and despite trying all 3 options as i thought maybe your phone line wasn’t working correctly had no phone call back.

Just thought you may wish to know it’s extremely difficult trying to get hold of you and your team.

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
Thanks for letting me know
The consumer website has been completely rebuilt after a cyber attack so there may be some teething problems however the trade site should be working fine.

I have been away at a conference for a few days so am now back but I will take this up with the girls in the office this morning and I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. If they are extremely busy and in the workshop they sometimes don’t get to the phone quickly enough and I know we have been very busy over the past few days.

If you have any further problems email or Messenger is a good idea as I pick these up wherever I am

Once again sincere apologies

Cheers
Judyb

Christopher Walters

Cleantalk Member
Just to update

I’ve been to this job twice in total purely just to treat this order with EM Clean.

I’ve got to say the initial smell was very very strong something I haven’t experienced before.

Anyway, it’s been treated twice by me and each time I left a small 200ml bottle with customer for them to treat a further twice in the evening and following morning.

So in total it has been sprayed and left on the fabric area only a total of 6 times. I purchase a litre of EM Clean and have just over 1/2 left.

Cusotmer is great saying he wants to put the sofa in the bin but I don’t like being defeated.

Is it worth continuing with this product and if so realistically will it work as it’s not cheap.

Just to add, the smell is only on the Grey fabric not the leather, the grey fabric is wrapped around the wooden frame from what I can make out.

Thanks all.

Chris

Christopher Walters

Cleantalk Member
Hi John

I’m not sure I’ve made myself clear

The grey fabric in the photo is attached to the frame of the sofa

It’s this fabric that is smelling not the cushions.

Behind the affected grey fabric is what appears to be solid wooden frame

The red leather cushions do not smell at all.

Christopher Walters

Cleantalk Member
@Judy Bass

Anything else can be done ...?

What’s the sort of timescale of this type of Odour...?

Is it realistic using 500ml of product to treat behind one cushion over a period of 2 weeks normal...?

Or would you say it would take longer .. ?

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
The grey fabric in the photo is attached to the frame of the sofa
There is grey fabric on the underside of the cushions and as part of the frame but it would be very unusual if it was directly glued to the woodwork. Whichever is the fabric that still smells, it could be extraction rinsed to remove most of the odour source. Thereafter an odour counteractant will be more effective.