Milk Spill And Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Brown

Cleantalk Member
Going to see a customer who's kid has spilt milk on the pp carpet and it apparently stinks. She has admitted she has tried to tackle it herself and I am waiting for the list of things she has used.

What would be the best route to take? I was thinking a pre rinse to get rid of anything she has used, then apply M Power and then finally Soluclear.

Yay or nay?

Mark Hunter

Cleantalk Member
@Andy Brown - I can probably tell you the list of things she has used. I beleive this is the same woman who left a long message on my voice mail Thursday / Friday with a kid spilling milk.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Andy,

The thing about milk spillages on PP carpets is that most will penetrate through and will there foster a bacterial colony. Surface treatment will not solve the problem so either the carpet should be uplifted for treatment or the conamination treated through the carpet.

Though I have successfully treated the problem with M-P Spotter the best way is to send in some friendly bacteria to deal with the issue.

This can be done with a generous treatment with Prozyme. Follow the instructions and explain to the customer that the bioenzymic approach you are employing can achieve a more complete result than a cleaning approach.

Whether using Prozyme or M-P the customer should be made aware that the cause of the odour is being broken down so the smell may temporarily become more noticeable.
I would not follow up either process with Soluclear but an air treatment with Natural Odour Neutraliser is fine.

Andy Brown

Cleantalk Member
So....
Pine disinfectant, Vanish Gold carpet spray, Vanish Gold carpet powder, baking powder and lastly water and vinegar.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
As I understand it Ace is a mix of a few enzymes whereas Prozyme contains (amongst other ingredients) friendly bacteria in stasis. When mixed with warm water and left a short time these bacteria are activated and proceed to produce digestive enzymes specific to the soiling. These bacteria remain active for as long as there is the food source, so the product should not be rinsed out.

If there is non-biodegradable soiling present, this should be removed prior to application of the Prozyme or if there is a heavy contamination (eg. of faecal matter) this may be treated,dwelled, rinsed then the Prozyme re-applied. This product should not be used in association with M-P, SPM nor any other biocidal product.

Mark Hunter

Cleantalk Member
"Pine disinfectant, Vanish Gold carpet spray, Vanish Gold carpet powder, baking powder and lastly water and vinegar."

Can't think why I didn't take this on now!

Let us know how it goes @Andy Brown, although it's going to be a few days before you know for sure.

Andy Brown

Cleantalk Member
Going to see her tomorrow. We have conversed in text and I have explained the damage she may have done and explained what I see are the 3 options. 1 Surface clean, 2 lift carpet and replace underlay and clean, 3 replace carpet and underlay. She has decided on a surface clean and although I have got that in text form I will also get her to sign the survey form with those options.

Andy Brown

Cleantalk Member
Ok, I went to see the carpet and there was obviously lots of white "powder" within the deep pile of the carpet. It was a bit late in the day and although she wanted me to surface clean it, I declined. I explained that the milk and her diy actions had more than likely penetrated beneath the carpet and suggested she got the carpet lifted and the underlay replaced. I told her when the carpet was up I would treat the floor beneath with a suitable product and clean the back of the carpet before it was relaid. The carpet had lightened in the area where she had "treated" it and I explained I wasnt sure if it was residual product left on the carpet or permanent damage. She said she had vacuumed it to death with her Dyson but there was still lots of powder in the carpet. I ran the Sebo over it a few times and all of the surface powder had gone. I gave her some Lemon Fresh to combat the smell and left.

Status
Not open for further replies.