Need some help with pricing

Myra Dimi

New Cleantalker
Hi there!

I've been reading a lot on this forum and got some great ideas but now I need your experience!

I'm about to get my first big job and I'm not sure on how much to charge. It's a day nursery in Yorkshire, they want deep clean on certain areas daily and regular cleaning on everything else. My estimation is that it's going to take somewhere between 4-6 hours for two people every day. I'm thinking £15 per person per hour. Also they want us to use their own cleaning products and move waste bins to a collection point at least twice per week. Is it too cheap or too expensive? Until now I only had minor jobs and I feel quite lost tbh... TIA

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Price wise is about right . but I would not use their cleaning products due to H&S concerns / staff training

Reactions: 1 user

Jacob Ward

Cleantalk Member
Nursery....

Wouldn't certain checks be required for your staff/employees if it was during open times .

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 users

Myra Dimi

New Cleantalker
Thank you for responding. About cleaning products, they want their own as they have a green and eco friendly approach and they're happy with what they use at the moment. As for checks they haven't mention anything more than DBS, which is not an issue.

The issue that came up today is the hours. They want us to come after 6pm and not at 4pm which was discussed firstly. Now, my plan is to clean it myself and my partner for 2-4 months and then get employees. Should I raise the rate as i'm not sure I can find reliable people to work from 6-10/12pm at minimum wage?

I really appreciate any answers, starting your own business can be really stressful!

Kevin Kirk

Cleantalk Member
6pm isn't out of hours for a cleaning company. Thats a normal time to be cleaning commercial premises.
We only charge out of hours for Sundays and overnight (10pm-5am)

Reactions: 1 user

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Their happy with the products they use but would you be , i'd ask to see cosh sheets
Also check with your insurance broker if you'd be covered if an accident happened whilst using their so call eco products , also if future staff would be covered

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 users

Myra Dimi

New Cleantalker
Thank you for your responses, it was great food for thought! As I said, I'll be cleaning it myself for a few months to get familiar with the place as it looks quite demanding, using my own products and see how it goes.

As for the out of hours, I enjoy working late however I remember co-workers moaning when they had to work after 7pm, that why i'm nervous about finding reliable staff. Only time will tell!

Pavel Matios

Cleantalk Member
I had a similar situation. I read a lot on this forum and my advice contact a cleaning company and find out prices for types of work