New Ideas to speed things up

Rolph Groth

Cleantalk Member
I'm sure we all broadly use the same methods for cleaning the main body of most oven's, (paste, blade etc...) I'm stuck at about the 90 minute mark for a single and have been for a while. I have found a way of speeding up the scrubbing of the base of the oven by placing a 1.5 kilo weight on top of my steel scrubbing pad. It gives me way more purchase while i scrub and get the bottom clean very quickly
However i'm still not happy with the speed and sometimes outcome when cleaning the side panels, whether grooved or flat. Surely there must be some sort of hand tool/wire brush solution to the side panels?

I would love to hear back from some of the forward thinkers with new ideas/out of thebox thinking that might get ridiculed from the old school baden powell cleaners but could really speed us all up!

David Lynch

Cleantalk Member
I have done the occasional single under 90mins but not very often. Its not an exact science and some ovens clean better than others due to design and build quality. Also distance from house, amount of room to work in and no hot water will make a difference. Used to get a couple of post on here by some claiming that they never took more than 90min on any oven. I usually average just under 2hrs but have hit a few mingers that almost took nearly 3hrs. No point in trying to kill yourself, just allow yourself enough time for a worse case scinario .

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
If you are using non caustic cleaning products it will take you longer. Try to put all your tools in the same place and work methodically round the cooker. My average for a single oven is 1 1/4 to 1.5 hours. Sgl 1 1/2 ovens 1 3/4 hours. I only have a portable tank that I fill up on each job. I never take 3 hours only on range cookers.

I think also over time with more experience you do get quicker and also realise sometimes you are wasting time when no amount if scrubbing will make it better.

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
I think it Is the realisation that u can't perfect everything ! That is what makes the time faster . Those buttons and racks ! Inner shell . Corners and roof . Most are happy with those shining . Fans and elements . Trays also the floor below the oven around the sides. Being good with a customer helps . Not a miserable sod ! lol

Ken Walsh

Cleantalk Member
I suppose thats why you see so many oven cleaners come and go and dont hang around as to do a good job will take time. I`ve stopped being a clock watcher I dont over book with to many jobs so not to kill me and try and enjoy the job, it makes it an easier day that way. No its not easy sometimes but I get good feedback and customer reviews and I dont have any blank no work days, so I must be doing something right!

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
I'm 6 weeks in now as an oven cleaner. I'm trying to get a good consistent clean and also not take 3-4 hours every time.

Hit a bit of a rut this last week or so we're every oven seams to not wanna scrub as well as I'd like, plus having to work in small, cramped kitchens makes a hell of a difference on my times.

I think I'm making classic newbie mistake, of panicking about not getting oven clean enough. I also seam to spend ages cleaning all the glass in the doors(probably wasting more materials than need to)

Any tips thrown them my way 🙏🏻

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Gareth

Did you pay for training? If not find a goid trainer now you no a bit more about cleaning cookers.. I had 2 weeks. I did 3 jobs every day from week 1. Never took 3 to 4 hours when I first started unless it was a range cooker.

It could be the products you use or how you are set up hard to tell with out shadowing you.

No matter how hard you try its impossible to remove every bit of carbon. I think newbies waste a lot of time where experience tells you no amount of scrubbing will make a difference.

Steve

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
I have had training, and to be fair I think I'm just making classic newbie mistakes, and maybe being a bit slow over cautious when splitting door/cleaning glass.

I also have a portable tank set up, so I understand i might be bit slower than a van mounted setup.

Feel a bit happier today, did a single oven clean in just under 2 hours, and that includes a good chat with customer and a brew.

I think I just need to challenge myself to be a bit quicker, and challenge myself to start shaving minutes off each job.

Jason Ready

Cleantalk Member
once youve overcome the initial working out how to take ovens apart you should have a system that after 6 months of practice you can do a single oven easily in 90 minutes.

if your struggling go back to your trainer for advice that’s what you’ve paid for!

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
To be fair my trainer has been very helpful.

I think it's just getting my process perfected, and being a bit impatient. (always been a slow learner)

On a positive note so far I've not broke anything(touch wood) and all customers have been lovely.

Ian Smith

Cleantalk Member
Once you get used to the different makes and models, and get into a comfortable routine, you will pick your speed up automatically.
Plus i always wish that when i started out that someone had told me that 99% of customers are more than happy with a 99% job, sometimes that lasts 1 or 2% can be a real unnecessary ball breaker!

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
My trainer did say, that after initial blade/scrape then scrub that I should switch off the led torch and step back and look at the oven from a customer perspective/view and he is so right. When you have your head in the oven with a ultra right led torch it's very unforgiving.

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
Why drop your standards to your trainer if he can't be bothered to clean it properly and takes money off new starters that's a snowball effect over all leads to poor cleaning standards I always use,I clean my ovens like I would clean my mother's then give her a touch to check
The point he was making and might be my fault for not explaining correctly is, that you can't get every speck. Of course the customer should be able to stick their head in the oven with a torch and still be pleased, but there has to be a balance between getting an oven clean and making it brand new. I'm not going to get an oven brand new.

Joe Sharpe

Cleantalk Member
The 6 month re cleans are the key for quick times, its 6 months of grime and if you did it properly the first time round your life is much easier.

I worked for a company, 4 jobs a day but mainly re cleans after 6 months etc, so was a breeze mostly.
Starting out myself and getting ones that are first time cleans in years is hard graft, but rewarding, its only now getting repeats that i can see how 20mins can be knocked off with re cleans...

Having said all of that sometimes its 1 hour for a single oven sometimes 1.5 hours...

My best tip... and this is how i trained up people when i worked for a company, don't spend 20 mins on one bit getting stressed... leave that bit, finish the rest, then tackle it at the end knowing once that is done, its in the van and off leaving nothing but vape vapor in your wake....

The minute you spend 20 mins getting stressed with some hard to remove or clean bit, then realizing you still have loads to do....horrible...

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
That's a great tip Joe thanks. I've now started to clean glass/doors, after the initial scrape on the oven so that the bio degreaser has chance to do it's thing. Then once I've done the glass/doors I go back to it.

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
I should say all my oven cleans so far have not been recleans and have been first time cleans. One or 2 have had them cleaned in past but 5plus years ago.

Harry Abernethy

Cleantalk Member
I wouldn't worry about your speed, I was the same as you taking forever at the start. Just do your best at every job and you'll be fine. The only time I ever take longer anymore is when it's a door that takes way too long to split for various reasons.
99% of the time I'll be slower is due to a chatty customer that doesn't realize scraping means I can't hear you. Seriously one of them held the cash in their hand as a hostage so she could chat longer.