New to hard floor cleaning

Eddie Prudhoe

Cleantalk Member
Hi all Ive been proffesionally cleaning carpets & Upholstery for over 5 years now and have built a good good customer base. I have invested in truckmount last year and have loved it being able to take on more work. I have been on the carpet repair course at woc with Clint and that has been brilliant & repair jobs have been coming in nicely with great results. Very highly reccomend that course from woc. When buying my truckmout from prochem I got a free training course with it and chose the hard floor cleaning course. I'm new to the hard floor side of things but understanding the pH & extraction methods from carpets and upholstery that side of things I'm confident on. My question to you all is about equipment. I need reccomendations for a rotary machine and also a spinner wand for tile & grout. I understand you can use wet vacs etc and squije wands however I'm into paying for equipment which makes my job easier and faster. What are peoples reccomend actions for a rotary and spinner wands. Brands and pros & cons. I would really appreciate it many thanks in advance.

Daniel Nailor

Cleantalk Member
I asked a similar question a while back and a Rotovac 360i was recommended.
I have tried out the Excentr range of machines and am saving up for a 43 myself.

Jon Chrimes

Cleantalk Member
I use a Tile Master 40 ( orbital) and an Excentr 43 (orbital). Between them they cover, Cleaning all hard floors including wood and natural stone. Hybrid and Diamond pad and ceramic puck work and lastly , sanding.
Ive never used a spinner or rotary on hard floors except on the TM course but have found rotary work hard on the shoulders in the past.
Not really helping maybe! Even more choices lol

Reactions: 1 user

Thomas Wright

Cleantalk Member
Hi Eddy, like Jon says, a tile master 40 is a good beginner's machine. In addition, a course with them (TM) in Manchester is also a good start (I, as a few on this forum, have done their starter course with TM and I can thoroughly recommend it. On their course, you will get to use all their machines and use their products (WOC sells the TM range of products). This will enable you to (as in the carpet cleaning) determine what you'll need in regards to equipment and products. Then get on TM's forum and a couple of other ones (this one included) to pick up what's what - ask newbie Q's etc. If you develop that side of your business your equipment range and knowledge of Hard Floor/Stone restoration WILL expand (similar to the CC side...). And, like some of the lads, you might even ditch your TM 40 (if you buy one initially). I've kept mine as it's a great wee machine for tight jobs. The Excentr range of machines looks great bits of kit and the rotary 43 particularly so - I have a TM Bimack Conan rotary which is a re-badged 'Klindex'. TM do starter packs, and if you do 'take the plunge' you can say goodbye to between £2-5000 + dependent on what machines/products/supplier you go with. As time moves on you will pick up the experience -the forums are great for all those daft questions... And I must give a 'shout out' to the lads at TM's who are brilliant and always there at the end of a phone to answer questions - no matter how stupid (been there...)

I hope this post answers some of your Q's, but if you have any more don't hesitate to ask- there is enough of us on this forum that are in/have the knowledge to keep you on the 'straight and narrow'.

I'll wish you good luck, and your truckmount will be a great asset in the hard floor cleaning.

Regards, Tom

Reactions: 2 users

Eddie Prudhoe

Cleantalk Member
Thanks for all your advice guys. I really appreciate it. There was also just one thing that wasn't brought up in the traning course, pricing. Now I know why it wasnt as pricing is different for every company/ buissness & individual. Personally on the cc side of my buissness I charge per the m2. Just wondered how you guys/ others price & charge for their hard floor surfaces. I know some people price per time however for me this will be dofficult to do as I'm not experienced in this area and cannot judge time scales at this moment in time.

Thomas Wright

Cleantalk Member
Hi @EddiePrudhoe, in regard to pricing: there are, as you will be aware, different pricing points which depend on what your perception of what is 'Hard Floor Cleaning'. Long answer short, I think between £6-£15 per m2 is the norm for 'just cleaning' a 'Hard Floor (Karndean, Amtico, Slate Limestone, Terracotta, Sandstone, etc.

Now, those price ranges vary from 'just cleaning' ( between £6-£8 per m2) to the application of a 'Dressing/Sealing' to, say, a Karndean/Amticio/Viny/Stone/Tiledl floor will be between £12-£15 per m2 (inclusive of cleaning). There may be various/different prices dependent on the geography of members.

In addition, the prices will/may increase when we move to stone cleaning/restoration/ Now, the cleaning and polishing & sealing (restoration) of 'Hard Floors' that are Marble, Limestone, Slate, Sandstone terracotta, etc may achieve a higher price point. This is due to the additional cost of products (diamond pads) and time. The rotary (or TM40) that you use to 'clean' a Karndean, Slate, Limestone floor, etc, might not be the same machine that you'd use (tongue- in cheek-at this point...) to, e.g. hone or polish a Marble, Limestone floor (although the TM 40 can do this to a point). The price point of this (again geography dependent) you'd charge between £25-£30 to clean, polish and seal a Marble floor. If you go further and offer a grinding service to the clean, polish and sealing then the process can rise to £50 per m2.

I hazard a guess, that some others on the forum may differ, or advise differently to these figures; but as stated the process is highly dependent on your geographic location and moreover, your skill level/experience: the more knowledge you have the higher the price you can charge! As you will have, by that stage, added more bespoke (expensive) equipment to your collection...

If you are, like many of us, and 'adding on' to your CC , then I highly recommend you get trained in how to work on 'Hard Floors' - the basic course at TileMaster is appropriate for this (although there are others available). The TM course does provide a good tutorial (model) on how to 'price' your Hard Floor service. Notwithstanding, some charge by the m2 (and I believe this is the norm) whereas others may charge a 'day rate'. The day rate is, on average, I believe £350, but again geography plays a big part in this as does your skill level/knowledge.

By attending an appropriate course (and I can only speak from my experience on the TM course,) you will see what is available to you within your own budget; you'll gain the knowledge of how far you can/want to take your new service, e.g. 'is it just' cleaning hard floors, using the bare minimum of equipment that you can also use alongside your CC, or a bit more advanced, i.e. polishing/sealing stone, etc..

I think you would benefit by speaking with @MairHunt who is on this forum and who has a similar (Cardiff CSB CC) business with a truckmount and has branched out into Hard floor and Stone restoration. You can view her Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L1aD7XzXn13PErjlwGAVQ/featured

Hope this helps
Regards, Tom

Reactions: 1 users