Not Another Dbs Thread

Monica Cutler

Cleantalk Member
Hello there, I wanted to ask about this as the goalposts appear to have changed. I was checking online https://www.gov.uk/find-out-dbs-check if I could carry out a check on a new employee. Job role is for office and domestic cleaning, key holder duties, and working in homes when children may be present during school holidays.

According to that checker I can't apply for a check, but can ask the operative to apply for a basic check. Has this been the same experience for everyone?

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Monica

Pretty much, it's about data protection I think. If you had access to the dbs or advanced one & found out that they were a paedophile it may change your view of them & may have repercussions?
You just get the "need to know" based on what's been asked
They apply for it & either you can reimburse them or make it mandatory for new employees to be able to provide the MOT style certificate

Florin Titiriga

Cleantalk Member
Just to let you know dbs takes a lot of time now, I dont know if outside of london takes less but I applied on 15th Nov and I still dont have a reply.

Jacob Ward

Cleantalk Member
For our cleaners it takes approx 3 weeks.
There are some schools that won't let our gardeners in as they where caught with e.g. drugs 30 years ago.
They just won't let them in
In brum It's 2 CofE schools strangely enough.
Currently where I am right now.....

J

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
J
Just goes to show that a dbs check only tells who you "were" & not who you "are" now?!

That's a very sad attitude from a church based school where the children are taught about forgiveness & acceptance?!

Jacob Ward

Cleantalk Member
@Steve Porter
True
As I say the clever people never get discoverd. So.......... that's why a dbs only shows your a very poor criminal or offender.
The paticularly school makes our employees hand their phones in upon arriving and will not let us use them until we leave.
Paranoia at its best I feel.

J

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
@jacob ward
You really need to update your avatar with a pic of you

I need to see if you look like the image I have in my head of you (Essex boy with weird hair, tats, maybe even a moostoche & builders belly)?! LOL

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
I'm not convinced the system is flawed. The client asks a question, you supply the answer. Based on that they make a decision whether or not they want their charges in the same proximity as your workers. Seems fairly productive to me :dunno:

Florin Titiriga

Cleantalk Member
Applied 15th Nov and up to date still nothing, great service from them !!! If it would be a free service I would understand but when you are paying for it then it should be much much quicker.