Odours

Maria Lennie

Cleantalk Member
I have two questions actually:
we are just starting up and we got his shaggy pile rug. Am I right in doing the normal procedure: vaccum, pre-spray, agitate and rinse.
The problem is: I never smelled any odour when I vacuumed it, my partner smelled dog odour (not urine) so he applied odour-x on the rug, now that the rug dried (just outdoors, not with blowers) I can smell the dog odour! What should we do now? The customer never complained about any smells on her rug, should I ask the customer if they want it treated for odours? :down:

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Maria, and :welcome:

There are many variables to your questions.

You don't say what the face yarn fibre is, nor the rug's construction or foundation yarns.

It is not uncommon, particularly with synthetic and especially polypropylene pile rugs, for the face yarn to retain a high percentage of the natural oils carried by the dog's hair. Odour producing bacteria feed on these oils. Without the correct products and techniques, this oil can be difficult to remove, leading to the mal-odours you describe. Typically, just treating with a pleasant odouriser, as with many so called deodourisers, merely masks the problem for a short while, only for it to return when the perfume has depleted.

My advice would be to thoroughly re-clean the rug with a cleaning solution(s) and procedures appropriate to the rug and it's fibres. BY removing the odour producing soils you will not have anything to de-odourise.

Regardless of your actions, or non-actions, you will almost certainly find that when the rug has completely dried and aired, the mal-odour will dissipate anyway.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Maria Lennie

Cleantalk Member
Thank you for the quick reply
It is a polypropylene rug, forgot to mention that detail!
I will follow your advice, thank you again

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Maria
When rinsing did you use your carpet wand or stair tool/ handtool?

Sometimes going straight in with a deodoriser is a nightmare & can make matters worse due to the way that they work
IF the odour is dog then the client is probably not aware of it as they live with it daily
IF however they have no pets then the problem may be latex souring, you're in for a treat if it is!!
Once completely & properly rinsed (don't use anything "X" on it!) & dried it will still smell, there is a trick to getting rid of latex souring but you'll need to check the rug to see if it has latex compound in it & tbh lots of poly prop shaggies do

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Maria,

Most rugs, especially shag piles benefit from the more concentrated attentions of a hand tool.

I note also that you made no mention of back-dusting, an important stage of the cleaning process.

Maria Lennie

Cleantalk Member
Thanks John, we never did back dusting but we will do both sides tomorrow....thanks for everyone's advice

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Cleand a 100% polyester shaggy pile rug for a customer. Vac, back dust, M power, pile brush and hand mit to agigate and thorough extraction with stair hand tool. Dried with a air mover. Customer has a dog and smelt a dog smell from it when brought it to my house to clean. Dog hasn't urinated on it. Customer contacted me today to say her partner smelt a smell from it when he got it from work last night. Was wondering if would still have been a slight dampness in it or would I need to re clean it?

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Trevor
Personally I always keep the rug a day or two after it is dry just to be sure, but yes, it is possible for odours to linger even after a very thorough rinsing. Dog odour doesn't stop at the base of the rug, it carries on through to the backing & that is often where any residual smell comes from
When drying rugs they should ideally be hung to allow full drying & only rolled before they are returned
Chances are the smell will go in a few days but if not & the smell is only in the backing then a light mist of Fresh Linen or peroxide does the job!

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Hi Steve,
I had it layer flat to let it dry for a couple of days as hadnt the facility at home to hang it to dry. Since then have sorted over the weekend a wee rail to hang future rugs on to dry. I've told the customer I will collect it and see what I can do with it. She had another cleaner previously clean it and when rolled it out at her house she said it was best she had even seen it cleaned which was pleased to hear. Will look at the back of the rug as well and see what can be done. Will get it very well aired first and take it from there.

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
When cleaning I'm thoroughly vaced, agigated and extracted in all directions taking my time. Went to see customer there and her partner. Smell isn't noticeable now unless you put your nose to rug and you slightly only very slightly smell it. So as a newbie next time will hold a rug longer at home to hang and make sure it's fully dry. Was hand dry but deep down must have been some moisture. Contacting customer in couple of days but she praised how clean it is and just to keep myself and her all happy. Her fellow is for buying 1001 to spray on it to help make sure smell is hidden, their choice to do this

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
A result then Trevor.

If you are restricted to rinse/extraction for rugs, this may be a familiar problem so it may require cleaning a couple, sometimes more, times.

Unfortunately, their proposed DIY treatment will make it worse :down:

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Yes Ken thankfully it was. At present I'm just rinse & extraction for cleaning rugs. Unfortunately don't have much room at my house for something like a child's paddling pool, pit or similar area to completely submerge rugs. Something I'd like to learn more about or try some for family to gain experience on this.

Hopefully in the near future will have a better facility, garage, covered area to allow for this. Yes it was a case of they knew what to do best and am hoping it won't be an issue that I have to hear about