Office cleaning

Joseph Stokes

Cleantalk Member
Good afternoon,
Just a quick one really... We have been looking into office cleaning in the not so far future as we have been getting a few enquiries even though we don't advertise it. My question is this..
You get a client and they say they want the cleaning done 5 days a week starting in two weeks time... Happy with the price etc etc
So who do you send to do the job? You obviously don't have full time staff just waiting for a contract to arise, and the chances of finding and training up someone within 2 weeks is not likely.
Also, you finally get it sorted and you've got Mary doing the job then she takes her holiday and you need to cover it for two weeks, who do you send?
Probably a really basic question but obviously it's better to ask from people who have been there and done it..

Jamie Biles

Cleantalk Member
As a very general rule,always better have 2 people per job (could be you for while) then train staff while there etc to your standards/process. Then when need cover holidays etc at least 1 person on site knows ropes etc,if that makes sense.

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Initially i would do the job myself or the wife that way you get a feel for the job , in the mean time you advertise for a cleaner x 2 who have at least 3 yrs experience in office cleaning ( sorts the chaf from the wheat ) then introduce the successful applicants to the job at two weeks interval , that way the first person will already hopefully know there way around the place

Pete Plumb

Cleantalk Member
...... make sure the cleaning contract is for at least 12 months, advertise for cleaners- make sure they have CRB, check previous employment, regularly check there cleaning/ site- and liaise with the client regularly

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
We do a DBS check on all new employees before they start , if they don't meet the requirement then they are not taken on simple

The DBS check is paid for by ourselves thus belonging to us and not the person , stops them getting one then moving on to another job with it

Darren Paterson

Cleantalk Member
We have 4 cleaners
I supply the work & hours etc
And pay a set hourly rate
They are self employed
I never guarantee them work & they are free to work elsewhere to make up there money if need be
However all of them currently have 4 full days a week with regular customers now
And are happy with that situation
if any of them take holiday with 4
So can usually move things around to accommodate the customer
As for training we only employ experienced cleaners with all the relevant checks etc
so no need for training.

Jamie Biles

Cleantalk Member
We do a DBS check on all new employees before they start , if they don't meet the requirement then they are not taken on simple

The DBS check is paid for by ourselves thus belonging to us and not the person , stops them getting one then moving on to another job with it
I'm pretty sure the DBS is the property of the person. You are allowed to keep it for an agreed period within the written contract then destroyed. You can see it and take copy. Employers are not obliged to pay for it. Employees can take to another employer or present fresh one if requested. Majority is now online so instant checks can be carried out for annual fee. It's like an MOT,next day something could happen and all means nothing.