Office walk through

annamaria zoldesi

Cleantalk Member
Hi guys,

I'll have my first walk through at an office building (They are thinking about 16 hr of cleaning per week but we will discuss this ).
Is there any advice you would give me on this ?
How should I prepare for it ? Would it be beneficial if I'd bring any method statements or anything ?
Many thanks,
Anna

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Go in with your eyes wide open , ask questions IE are you to supply toilet rolls , bin bags etc etc
Don't let them dictate hours or cost , also some will ask you to use there equipment & cleaning materials , politely point out that due to insurance & h/s you use your own ( if you use there vacuum and it breaks whos responsible etc etc )

As for documentation most never even ask but its always best practice to show insurance policy

annamaria zoldesi

Cleantalk Member
Hi James,
Thank you for taking the time to help me!

I've sent out some email marketing and they've got back to me . I already knew that they are looking for a cleaning company, then next day they've called me back and in a few days I'll be having a meeting with them.
What do you think how much should I charge per hour ? Or should I do per job ? I was thinking about £24 per hour. What are your thoughts on this ?

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Price by the job , if you price by the hour say 3 hours after you get to know the job it should only take 2 hrs so your wasting an hour per clean ( if you follow what i mean )
If your supplying bin bags toilet rolls etc calculate how many you need approx

If you do price per hour then £24 is a bit steep , we cost at £18/£20 plus extras , invoice them every 4th week

annamaria zoldesi

Cleantalk Member
Thank you James! :smile: I do know what you mean about pricing per job, I do that at a soft play area and all end of tenancies and deep cleans but I know how long the job takes . The reason I'm a little bit scared about pricing per job is due my lack of knowledge in this industry. I'll see how this meeting will go I'm so excited haha.
Thank you so much James! :smile:

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Check for things like:

Is there a secure place for your equipment? Location of water? Availability of power points? Will you be cleaning whilst some staff are still (overtime) working? Will this still be viable from noise and H&S? Will you need to be a key holder?

If the site is serviced by non-driving employees, what's public transport there like?

Talk also with your insurers about level of cover.

There'll be 1001 other issues to consider too so follow James's advice.

David McKellar

Cleantalk Member
Ask them if they have any key requirements. No point in saying that you will do a good job/better than the last company and you don't do what they're wanting.

For eg: we only do 1 big call centre and their main issue was that if the girls couldn't get in/on holiday they never sent anyone else.

When I asked if they had any specific requirements, they said they need someone that will be there Mon-Fri 52 weeks a year as they're a 24/7 gas company.

I know it's basic, but I'll never forget to fill any holiday cover etc.

Dave Byrne

Cleantalk Member
Dave is spot on there, my previous life was spent in the contract manned guarding world. Take away the problem the client has, the FM manager / site GM will have his or her own business to worry about, find out what they want, how they want it, what the previous / incumbent wasn't doing etc.
Give solutions, have good ppl working for you and be honest with the client. Being upfront and honest goes a long way.
Good luck, be positive and you'll be fine!

annamaria zoldesi

Cleantalk Member
Hi guys,
Just an update about the office.
I've been on a walkthrough it was a three level building with 5 kitchen , 60+ tables, more than 20 separate offices , shower rooms, gym, 15 toilets and an engineering workshop. Everything was fine, it did go really well , I've asked if they had a cleaning company and they've said yes but they weren't really happy with them .
I believe the issue with the cleaning company they used to have was that they didn't have enough hours . They were doing 16 hours a week and I've told them that it would need a minimum of 30 hours a week (with 2 cleaners 15 hours each , so 3 hours a day for two of them).
I've sent then the quatation (£20 an hour which came out £600 a week ) everything included in the price (cleaning supplies, cleaning equipment) .
I've got a reply after they have spoken to the director of the company that they are trying to employ someone and in case it won't work they will get back to me . Haha
I believe now that they didn't even have a cleaning company before they just had employees and wanted to see if they would come out 'cheaper' with a company.
Thank you guys for all your help again! In my eyes the meeting went really well and at least I've learned something!

James Smith

Cleantalk Member
Sounds as if they were just testing the water and looking for a cheaper option

But some you win some you lose , just move on and don't worry about it others will come along

annamaria zoldesi

Cleantalk Member
That's what I was thinking and when they've sent me a reply for the quatation I've said that there might be benefits too in employing someone but it is not easy.
They will come out with the same price anyway as they will have to pay holiday to them, sick pay etc. And in case the employee is in holiday they won't have anyone again . So I don't know what they want