Old fashioned gas cooker with hob & eye-line grill - how much?

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Hi All,

Just wondering what sort of price you charge for old fashioned gas cooker/hob/grill. The freestanding ones with the hob built on top of the gas oven, with a connected grill at eye-level. I remember having one in the kitchen when I was a kid! I got one sprung on me today and mumbled something about £80. Curious what everyone else charges.

Heidi Schachtschneider

Cleantalk Member
I remember the kind, it's what we had growing up! We've never had to clean one though, can't be many left! I suppose we'd charge it as a single oven, hob with seperate grill, which we do for £60.

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
I go for a low price it's on old oven probley a older person ? Treat it as a single .
I used to do them as single but the grill area is a real grease trap from frying on the hobs below and can take as long to clean as separate oven/grill so went to charging as double. There not always old currys still sell them.

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 user

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Thanks everyone, sounds like my price was on the high end of normal. But having done one before I totally agree that the upper grill is awkward to clean.

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
One of my customers , has one of these I go every year and I charge her £10. The cooker is as old as me 55. She bought it in1964 and its in pristine condition. She is a very old lady and I don't think she uses it much.
For a normal one £60/£65 is about the right price

Reactions: 2 users

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
One of my customers , has one of these I go every year and I charge her £10. The cooker is as old as me 55. She bought it in1964 and its in pristine condition. She is a very old lady and I don't think she uses it much.
For a normal one £60/£65 is about the right price
Subsidising oven cleans for some elderly customers on low income is something I have thought about. It's one thing not wanting to clean your own oven and getting someone in, but another being too old to do it anymore. Good on you Duncan!

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Christina, for some reason elderly ladies get my heart strings, I spend a lot of my time doing extra jobs for them or even just sitting and having a cuppa with them. The list of things I do for them is endless.
When the time comes for me to retire this is what I am going to do, help old ladies

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
The pensioners by me are loaded. None of them seem hard up. There generation never had it so good. Retired at 60 to 65 on final salary pension and sitting on houses worth a fortune.

Whilst I enjoy a good chat and will help where I can I certainly would not charge £10 for a clean.

I have lots of expenses to pay. No final salary pension for me or holiday pay/sick pay.