Oriental Rugs......i'm Happy To Help.

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Martin
This is a Persian rug, but it’s not antique.
The rug is from the Bakhtiari tribe and is probably 20-30 years old. Bakhtiari rugs are not usually valuable. I wouldn’t expect this rug to fetch more than £200 in auction.

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Max,

The first one is a bit strange.
The design is Qashgai, but the weave looks Bakhtiari. In this case, the weave usually wins.
The second one is Bakhtiari. Bakhtiar is a Persian Tribe still there today.
I would value them both around £1500-1800 retail. (Much more at Liberty)

Mark Winsper

Cleantalk Member
Hi Robert,

Please can I ask you to cast your eye over these two rugs please, with regards, origin, type and value. They want them cleaned, IMG-20180411-WA0004.jpg IMG-20180411-WA0005.jpg Your help is appreciated

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Mark
The first one is Chinese. It looks like a modern copy of a 19th century rug. Retail price for this is around £250 per sq metre.
The second one looks like either a cheap machine made, or possibly a cheap Indian rug. Either way no value.
For future, try to give a close up photo of the weave on the back of the rug.

Hope this helps.
Robert

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
It appears that the Chinese rug has been cleaned (or otherwise wetted) as there is apparently browning to the fringe and possibly elsewhere (photo not clear on my 'phone).

Mark Winsper

Cleantalk Member
Robert, thanks for yout quick reply!:superman: at least I know what they are now...minefield rugs...!

Ill remeber for next time for future photos for the weave.

John, any tips for removing the browning?

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
This browning is often put there deliberately to make them look older.
Sodium metabisulphite takes it out.
But please check this with others as it is not my area of expertise.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Mark,

I use dilute acetic acid, dry extracted.

There are products on the market aimed at that problem but they are oxidisers that weaken the fibres, as do reducing agents.

Jon Gardner

Cleantalk Member
IMG-5380.JPG
Good evening, Robert.

I hope life's treating you well. Just cleaned this one at home - it has entered our household by chance...

What is it, please??

Best, Jon

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Jon

This is a Persian kilim but I don’t know the village I’m afraid.
Looks around 30-50 years old.
£5-600 retail

Tony Barry

Cleantalk Member
28BFA5F3-69E5-4899-A5A5-F732092C8AC4.jpeg 211980E9-CB18-4439-A635-871D5129A0F3.jpeg Hi Robert,

Not spoken to you for a while but wondered if you could cast your eye over this rug that my client would like to know a little about, any info would be much appreciated.
Many thank, Tony.

Size 5 x 3 ft

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Tony

This is known as a Gold Afghan.
It started its life red and then went through a chemical process by a firm called Abadgian in Harrow in the 60s and 70s. They don’t have much value, but there are people who still like them.
A 5 x3 in good condition it would sell for around £250 retail.

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Martin
The silk is Chinese (no surprise there). It may be silk, but it has little resale value, maybe a few hundred pounds. It may have cost around £1500 new, but this is not my area of expertise.
The small one is Afghan all wool I believe, around £3-400 new £60-100 in auction.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Martin,

That wool Afghan looks pretty much identical to one I cleaned a couple of years ago. It bled red like a stuck pig and I was unable to find a suitable stabiliser. End result was OK because I kept flushing till the water ran clear. Yours may be OK but if it does bleed do not attempt to clean on-site as the flushing requires large amounts of water.