Oriental Rugs......i'm Happy To Help.

Sean mccarron

New Cleantalker
Hi Robert I’m new to the forum,Im a buyer and seller of many things and I’ve recently just got into rugs as it were,I’ve bought a few books and watched a few videos (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing🤣)
I live in Cumbria and thought I would ask on here if there is anyone in my area who could be recommended to send them to For cleaning?
Here is an image of my first purchase it was sold to me as a silk Persian rug,would be grateful if you could give your opinion,thanks Sean

Attachments

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
It’s a super washed Chinese.
they’re expensive to buy but worth noting second hand.
it looks like the previous cleaner didn’t set the pile.

Mike Robinson

Cleantalk Member
It’s a super washed Chinese.
they’re expensive to buy but worth noting second hand.
it looks like the previous cleaner didn’t set the pile.
Thanks Robert...It apparently cost £15000 back in the day but it has definitely been ruined by the previous splash and dash Cleaners.... plus the dog has had a bit out of it as well....

Lee Jenkins

Cleantalk Member
Hi Tony
There are courses that are spoken about on here for cleaning rugs.
As far as identification courses are concerned, I don’t think there are any. I did organise a rug warehouse visit a few years ago where I showed and talked about rugs. There were five or six people from the forum that attended, I think it opened their eyes to the range of rugs out there, but it’s only an introduction to rugs, it takes years to really get to grips with them.
if there’s another group that would like to visit the warehouse again I’d be happy to take you.
I attended that day, and would go on 100 more like it if available.

Not so much for the 'cleaning' aspect, but just for the appreciation of them, and to understand their history, distinguishing features, etc.

Oliver Campbell

Cleantalk Member
Hi Robert,

A customer has asked for a rough valuation on this rug. Its about 1.8 x 1 meters in size and brought in Turkey. Be nice to know anything you can tell me. It's had a few repairs at some time. Thanks for you time and knowledge.

Attachments

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Oliver

Sorry, just seen your post.
This is a Persian (not Turkish) Bakhtiar Mafrash. Mafrash is a cradle, this one has been opened up to lay flat which is very common. It would have had end panels and would double up as a storage bag for bedding.
Your customers example has been cut and joined by the look of it, I would date it to Circa 1920
but with little value in it's condition.
mafrash.jpg

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
This is a Persian Yalameh rug of south western Iran. Same area as Qashgai and Shiraz. It looks to be 30-40?years old with a retail replacement value of around £750.