Oriental Rugs......i'm Happy To Help.

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Good morning

I am a fourth generation rug dealer with 35 years experience personally.
I have noticed lots of posts questioning the value and authenticity of rugs on this forum.
If anyone would like to make use of my knowledge of rugs I will be very happy to advise on value, and photos permitting, where the rug comes from. I will also be happy to advise the likely problems that can occur with a particular rug, such as colour run or uneven shrinkage.

The most important thing to know about cleaning rugs, is to know the ones NOT to clean. In other words, most rugs will not give you any problems, but you need to recognise the ones that will as they are the ones that will cost YOU money.

There is good money to be made cleaning rugs, and customers are happy to pay it to someone they have confidence in. I charge £30 psm for wool, and £60 psm for silk.

If you invest some time learning the basics about rugs, you will find it pays you back.

Here to help if anyone wants it.

Regards

Robert Aigin

Dan Chapman

Cleantalk Member
Robert, any idea where this rug may be from and approx value? Wool with a few silk highlights. Customer would like to know to insure it.
Many thanks
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Dan

It looks to be a Persian silk highlight Qum. It's not the most attractive one I've ever seen, but the quality looks ok.

I would say the retail replacement value would be around £2500.

Regards
Robert

Jim Neal

Cleantalk Member
Robert's been a member on here for 3 years but I'm sure he appreciates a belated welcome :clap:

Very good of you to make yourself known Robert. I recall you making one or two posts on the other forum which must not be mentioned. Seem to remember some of the usual scallywags taking the mick a bit which was a shame, boys will be boys I suppose!

I think your experience will be much more appreciated on here :smile:

Peter Carr

Cleantalk Member
Your name appears at the top right of the page, hover over it, click on contact details, half way down the page it gives you the option to receive email when a PM is received..

Lee Jenkins

Cleantalk Member
Robert, do you, or any of your colleagues, run courses in identifying such rugs? I'm really interested in them, and despite excellent books on the topic, nothing beats someone sitting you down and showing you stuff.

Neil Worsnop

Cleantalk Member
Wondered if Robert could help with any thoughts on this one.

Its got a cotton pile and there is some damage to the edge. I've seen a lead tag before but not sure why it is there?
It is 1.7 x 2.3m and has a very lightweight feel to it.

Customer has no idea of its origin or value as it was saved from going into a skip at his old workplace about ten years ago. Also wondering if it has any value for his insurance.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Neil

The lead tag is an export tag usually from Turkey.
Unfortunately, your customer has saved this turkey from the slaughter house. It is a machine-made rug and has no value. It is not worth repairing, but maybe they could turn the end over and glue it back, or cut the fringe off and have it machine whipped.

Regards
Robert