Oven Not Working 24+ Hrs Later

Peter Ellyatt

Cleantalk Member
Hi, cleaned a single oven yesterday afternoon . All went well. Tested oven after the clean and all working okay. Customer was happy and I showed her the oven working. Just received a call from her to say the fan's not turning and oven "stopped" heating after turning it on tonight. I've arranged to go back tomorrow but not sure how to play this as all was working ok when I left yesterday ? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Paul Pantony

Cleantalk Member
Make sure the clock is set if she has turned it off since. And is it one with a switch button on the front edge, however most of those are double ovens.

Peter Ellyatt

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Chris and Paul.

Only use solutions boo and astonish paste, no caustic at all.

No clock on the oven. Was a very vague manufacturer though, sounded Italian but can't remember the name of it. Not a household name.

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
I worked with machines a lot before oven Cleaning sometimes faults just happen! If the fan was taken of I check it was put on firmly and test it! I had a bulb blow a plug one time and the people lucky got the land lord to fix it through an electrical engineer. Always good to fix something . Pain in the butt tho!

Peter Ellyatt

Cleantalk Member
Update. Been back this morning. Oven not coming on at all. I cleaned it on Monday afternoon. She used the grill yesterday morning and all was okay. She then used the oven yesterday evening and that's when it stopped working. Not 100% convinced it's anything I've done, possibly bad luck/coincidence. Refunded her the money for the clean, not happy to do it but it's good customer service, and an appliance engineer is going round on Friday. The oven was a stinker and took nearly two hours to get clean, ridged sides, 13 years old never been cleaned etc. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the replies everyone, this forum not only gives you great info but let's you know that you're not completely on your own being self-employed.

@Kevin Taylor Yes I did, came up to high temp as normal, nothing untoward.
@billy marsh Think you could be right, mate. It's just convincing the customer of that!!!

Keith W Bushnell

Cleantalk Member
I had a call a few years ago. Oven worked fine after cleaning, then got a call that night saying it no longer worked. I popped back the next day and the oven was dead. After a moment I noticed it was switched off at the mains. Flicked it on and all working again. Customer then remembered she turned it off when her grandchildren came round as they play with the controllers. A very apologetic customer.

Peter Ellyatt

Cleantalk Member
No, Mike. She didn't offer and to be honest I was just relieved that I didn't have to fork out for the repair or worse, a new oven! Maybe a bit too soft!

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
I use a inspection sheet that they sign . It's states all is in working order ! And any faults which are found outside and inside the oven! Also it's great for when you go back as you can see the problems and niggles . Customers love that ! Truth

tony jones

Cleantalk Member
Billy. Do you have a copy of the inspection sheet you use? Been looking for one or just info on what should be covered for inspection sheet.

Chris Carter

Cleantalk Member
I broke the front glass on a diplomat oven last week. (they were part of the mfi group) Couldn't find a replacement door so have just shelled out £180 for a new oven to be installed.
That hurt but I always try to make a negative into a positive.
I immediately contacted the customer and explained that I would personally go and see the letting agents and arrange to get it sorted.
I met with one of the owners of the letting agents and have been in contact with them to keep them updated.
The out come is they want my services and they also now know that if I mess up, I don't mess about and get things fixed.