Oven tripped the electric

Matthew Baxter

New Cleantalker
Hi everyone. I'm new to oven cleaning and up until the other day it has been going really well. Plenty not new bookings and literally no complaints.

Then last week, I was cleaning a really disgusting oldish range and as soon as I turned the oven on after the clean , it tripped the electric. I had an electrician come and it turned out that the element had gone and he said that it wasn't my fault. The oven was working at full capacity and it went because it had been working well for a long time.

What checks can I do to try and avoid this situation please? Also, if any water or chemical does get on the element, what is the best this I can do to make sure it doesn't damage it?

Thanks

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Always get your torch out as soon as you arrive, and visually inspect the top elements. You will see that elements in their way out can either sag a bit on one side compared to the other, or you may see discoloured area with a bulge or fine cracking. This indicates it is due to fail.

Sometimes you will get caught out, and even with a visual pre-check and element can have a hairline crack that allows moisture in. Therefore if I get a very old oven I always clean the roof either dry (scraper only) or use non caustic. Non caustic chemicals do dry out in 24 hrs or so, and normally the oven comes back on. Caustic destroys the element for good.

Be particularly careful with ranges, because some have holes in the base. You don't want to let products drop down there, because there are base elements sometimes.

It's happened to all of us I'm sure! Don't let it knock you back. It's how you deal with the issue that counts.

Reactions: 1 user

Matthew Baxter

New Cleantalker
Thanks so much for your response Christina, that has definitely helped.

If I do accidentally get some caustic on there, is it best to wipe off with a wet or dry microfibre?

Mike Sant

Cleantalk Member
Also, if I do come across one that is really bad, should I write a disclaimer or possibly even refuse?
It comes with experience, always see what the customers expectations are.
Depends if it’s really old and burnt/carbonised. Sometimes it’s not worth the hassle but unless you can replace the job you’ll miss a wage.